Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 11, 2012
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Touchstone / Disney
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French, Spanish
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Charlie Korsmo &
Dick Van Dyke,
Michael J. Pollard,
Al Pacino &
Jim Cash &
Jack Epps Jr.
Art Direction by
Executive Production by
Floyd Mutrux &
Barrie M. Osborne
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"So many questions, so few answers."
- Big Boy Caprice (Al Pacino)
"You don't know whether you want to hit me or kiss me. I get a lot of that."
- Breathless Mahoney (Madonna) to Dick Tracy (Warren Beatty)
"Thanks for calling. I was wondering what a girl had to do to get arrested."
"Wearing a dress like that is a step in the right direction."
- Dick Tracy to Breathless Mahoney (Warren Beatty and Madonna)
Academy Awards 1990 -
Best Original Song: Stephen Sondheim
Rolling Stone - 07/12/1990
"...A visual knockout..."
USA Today - 06/14/1990
"...It really gets under your skin..."
New York Times - 06/15/1990
"...DICK TRACY is a great uninterrupted grin....Oddball and matchless..."
Los Angeles Times - 06/10/1990
"...DICK TRACY is brash, irresistible fun. Warren Beatty's vision of a comic strip on film comes in paint-box bright colors with nicely irreverent dialogue....It's a film of enormous style..."
A.V. Club - 01/02/2013
"It's an accomplished stylistic exercise, reconsidering the pop culture of the '30s through the perspective of the late 20th century."
Warren Beatty directs and stars in this lavish adaptation of Chester Gould's famous comic strip. Against a stylized and solid color backdrop of 1930s Chicago, straight-laced, square-jawed, detective hero Dick Tracy battles gangster Big Boy Caprice -- and temptation in the form of blonde bombshell Breathless Mahoney. Dick's long-time girlfriend Tess Trueheart and a feisty street urchin are on hand to offer support. With songs by Stephen Sondheim, Madonna as Breathless Mahoney, and a vast array of cartoon villains -- Mumbles, Pruneface, Lips, Flattop -- brought to life by a glittering cast of stars.
Once again, director Beatty assembles an all-star cast. Dick Tracy, America's top crimestopper, goes up against a mob of colorful gangsters in this rich production. Academy Award Nominations: 7, including Best Supporting Actor--Al Pacino. Academy Awards: 3, including Best Makeup, Best Art Direction, Best Song ("Sooner or Later" by Stephen Sondheim).
Comic Book |
Essential Cinema |
Theatrical Release |
- Filmed in Los Angeles, California.
- Began shooting February 1, 1989; completed early June 1989.
- Released theatrically in the USA June 15, 1990, along with the short cartoon "Rollercoaster Rabbit."
- Released on video December 18, 1990.
- Film used Cinema Digital Sound (CD quality sound) for the first time.
- Budget estimate $25-30 million.
- Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Classification.