Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 18, 2012
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: New Line Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- Dolby True HD 5.1 - English, French
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Splinter, the rat ninja master is kidnapped by the evil Shredder and his gang of hoodlums. The green teens with the help of an ambitious reporter embark on a perilous journey through the city streets and sewers to save him.
A live-action version of the popular animated TV series for kids. Due to radiation exposure, the four turtles have mutated into teenagers; now, they live in the New York City sewers, where they eat pizza, talk jive, and learn the tricks of a ninja from their guru, Splinter the Rat.
When a group of juvenile delinquents called the Foot Gang start wreaking havoc in the city, our heroes on the half-shell join forces with an intrepid girl reporter to put an end to the gang's evil ways.
- Estimated budget of $12.5 million to $15 million.
- Filmed at the DeLaurentiis Studio in North Carolina, shot in Technicolor; prints by DeLuxe.
- Began shooting July 10, 1989; completed shooting September 9, 1989. Released on video October 4, 1990.
- Additional credits: animatronic character creation, special effects and costumes by Jim Henson's Creature Shop.
- Based on the comic book characters created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird which spawned a hit TV cartoon series, as well as a video game, and numerous tie-ins ranging from books to stuffed toys. The appearance of "Mutant Turtle" breakfast cereal on American supermarket shelves coincided with the film's USA release.
- This was the highest-grossing independent film of all time, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" made over $133 million in domestic box office.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Censors.