Salt of the Earth
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$5.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 25, 2004
- Originally Released: 1953
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Will Geer & Charles Coleman|
|Directed by||Herbert J. Biberman|
|Edited by||Ed Spiegel & Joan Laird|
|Screenwriting by||Michael Wilson|
|Composition by||Sol Kaplan|
|Cinematography by||Stanley Meredith & Leonard Stark|
|Produced by||Paul Jarrico|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Stylistically mirroring Italian neo-realism, Salt of the Earth was produced, directed and written by victims of the 1950's anti-Communist blacklisting, including Herbert Biberman - one of the "Hollywood Ten" who was jailed for refusing to cooperate with Congressional inquiries. With the notable exception of Will Geer (Grandpa on "The Waltons"), the cast is almost entirely comprised of workers who participated in the real-life strike on which the story is based. The only blacklisted American film in history, Salt of the Earth was banned for its daring political content, which anticipated the civil rights and feminist movements by nearly ten years. This film was selected to the National Film Registry, Library Of Congress, in 1992.
- SALT OF THE EARTH was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1992.
- The film was sponsored by the International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers.
- When SALT OF THE EARTH was first released, it was considered to be a propaganda film in favor of communism. Some of its makers faced a McCarthy-era Congress, and its director served time in jail.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 45 ratings.
Thank Alpha Video for making this unique, socially-progressive movie with a lot of heart available to a wide audience at an unbelieveably low price.
To say this movie is ahead of its time is understatement: it's ahead of our time, too.
You'll be amazed this movie even exists the first time you see it, because there aren't any other American films like it, to my knowledge.
- Sales Rank: 12,263
- UPC: 089218441591
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
2Pac Tupac - Live at the House of Blues (Blu-ray) ~
$15.96 Super Savings
50 Cent Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Music Videos (DVD) ~
$2.98 Super Savings
50 Cent Refuse 2 Die: The Unauthorized Biography (DVD) ~
$4.98 Super Savings
50 Cent Shoot First (DVD) ~
$4.98 Super Savings
The 5th Dimension 5th Dimension - Travelling Sunshine Show (DVD) ~
$14.11 Super Savings
Dramas Movie Categories:
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.