- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 28 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 14, 2004
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: Warner Home Video
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Director's Cut
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Surround 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround 5.1 - French
- Dolby Surround 5.1 - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: George Lucas - Director, Walter Murch - Sound Editor
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- A LEGACY OF FILMMAKERS: THE EARLY YEARS OF AMERICAN ZOETROPE
- ARTIFACT FROM THE FUTURE: MAKING OF BALD
- ELECTRIC LABYRINTH: THX 1138 4EB
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Film Comment - 09/30/2004
"A sci-fi classic..."
Entertainment Weekly - 09/24/2004
"[A] good film..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 09/10/2004
"[A] science-fiction parable set in the 25th century and displaying remarkable visual mastery."
Uncut - 11/01/2004
"[I]t's visually breathtaking."
Sight and Sound - 12/01/2004
"[T]he film exhibits a sci-fi sensibility rooted in Orwell, Kubrick and Kafka..."
Total Film - 01/01/2011
4 stars out of 5 -- "Lucas' biggest set is a bare, bleached-out void, while his primary resource is sound, Walter Murch's dense multi-tracks engulfing us in an oppressive drone of voice and noise."
Future / Futuristic Worlds |
Robots / Cyborgs |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: March 11, 1971
- The film was shot on location in Northern California.
- A special director's cut edition of THX 1138 was released in 2004 after screening at several of America's most prominent film festivals (including the Telluride and Los Angeles Film Festivals).
- Lucas made the quirky decision to have the film's opening credits scroll down instead of up.