- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 54 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 18, 2012
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Shout Factory
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Billy Crudup &
Darren E. Burrows,
Enrique Castillo &
Barbara De Fina,
Martin Scorsese &
Director of Photography:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"A good woman is like a good horse, she's got bottom."
- Big Boy (Woody Harrelson) to Pete (Billy Crudup)
Rolling Stone - 02/04/1999
"...[Harrelson's] lusty, deeply felt and surprisingly gallant performance truly rises to the occasion..."
Sight and Sound - 08/??/1999
"...A handsome looking and sounding version of the novel....The film delivers a satisfying broad visual sweep..."
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 06/01/1999
"...A likable, leisurely Western saga....Strong performances by [Harrelson and Crudup]..."
Premiere - 02/01/1999
"...[Harrelson] makes the character as charming and noble and near-mythic as he was intended to be..."
Box Office - 02/01/1999
"...A competent piece of work, featuring a handful of memorable performances and undeniably polished production values..."
Los Angeles Times - 12/30/1998
"...THE HI-LO COUNTRY is a film of high quality, beautifully shot..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 01/22/1999
"...The movie evokes the open space of New Mexico with a bright, dusty grandeur..."
Based on the novel by Max Evans, this epic western is set amidst the rugged yet beautiful country of southern New Mexico directly following WWII and focuses on the cowboys who struggled to make it their home. The bond of friendship between two men (Woody Harrelson and Billy Crudup) is tested when they fall for the same woman (Patrica Arquette), who is already married. The film features an outstanding performance by Harrelson as Big Boy, a live-wire cowboy with a reckless heart who refuses to give up the honorable traditions of cowboy living.
Coming Of Age |
Love Triangles |
- Famed western director Sam Peckinpah owned the rights to this film for many years, but died before he was able to make the film.
- Screenwriter Walon Green wrote the screenplay for Peckinpah's THE WILD BUNCH.
- British director Stephen Frears studied Westerns for three years in preparation for the film.
- THE HI-LO COUNTRY features the first English-language starring role for Spanish actress Penélope Cruz.