Townes Van Zandt Live at the Old Quarter (2-CD)
|You Save:||$2.10 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (2 Discs)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 10, 2003
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Fat Possum Records
Tracks on Disc 1:
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Announcement
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Pancho & Lefty
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Mr. Mudd & Mr. Gold
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Don't You Take It Too Bad
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Two Girls
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Fraternity Blues
- $1.29 on iTunes7.If I Needed You
- $1.29 on iTunes8.Brand New Companion
- $1.29 on iTunes9.White Freight Liner G Blues
- $1.29 on iTunes10.To Live Is To Fly
- $1.29 on iTunes11.She Came Around And She Touched Me
- $1.29 on iTunes12.Talking Thunderbird Blues
- $1.29 on iTunes13.Rex's Blues
- $1.29 on iTunes14.Nine Pound Hammer
Tracks on Disc 2:
- $1.29 on iTunes1.For The Sake Of The Song
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Chauffeur's Blues
- $1.29 on iTunes3.No Place To Fall
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Loretta
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Kathleen
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Why She's Acting This Way
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Cocaine Blues
- $1.29 on iTunes8.Who Do You Love
- $1.29 on iTunes9.Tower Song
- $1.29 on iTunes10.Waiting 'Round To Die
- $1.29 on iTunes11.Tecumseh Valley
- $1.29 on iTunes12.Lungs
- $1.29 on iTunes13.Only Him Or Me
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Solo performer: Townes Van Zandt (vocals, acoustic guitar).
Producer: Earl Willis.
Reissue producer: Kevin Calabro, Katja Maas.
Recorded live at the Old Quarter, Houston, Texas in July 1973. Includes liner notes by Chet Flippo.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
From the opening club announcements about the locations of the bathrooms to the smattering of applause when the artist is announced, you know this is not a standard live recording. Low-key and basic as an artist can be, Townes Van Zandt proves that a man and his guitar can easily compete against a rowdy honky-tonk crowd with a plaintive voice, incisive songs and mesmerizing style.
He starts the concert by apologizing for the air conditioning being turned off, and then immediately cools the crowd off with his much-covered, icy Western narrative "Pancho & Lefty." Culled from Van Zandt's years of independently released country-folk records, the austere collection of songs here serves, in effect, as a greatest-hits package, albeit with glitches, errant noises, goofy jokes and witty anecdotes. Van Zandt's dry, narrative wit was the source of influence for such singer-songwriters as Lyle Lovett, but one would be hard-pressed to find a more simple, prettier love song than "If I Needed You" (a hit for Emmylou Harris) or a more riveting ballad than "Kathleen," both sung with focused precision. The Old Quarter falls as silent as a church.
"Brand New Companion" shows off Van Zandt's blues-picking expertise. "Talking Thunderbird Blues" demonstrates his wit. One of his best creations, "For The Sake Of The Song," shows off his poetic strength.
This is the place to start if you are just entering the parched, spare domain of Townes Van Zandt. By album's end, you will be thirsty for more.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Chet Atkins And His Guitar / The Guitar Genius (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
$1.98 on SALE