Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 53 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 13, 2012
- Originally Released: 1946
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Well, so long mister, thanks for the ride, the three cigarettes, and for not laughing at my theories on life."
- Frank Chambers (John Garfield) to driver
"Parking by a fire hydrant'll get you 20 years in jail."
- District Attorney to Frank (John Garfield)
Total Film - 03/01/2000
"...One of the steamiest crime tales ever made..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
USA Today - 01/16/2004
"Turner has one of the best screen entrances in history; Garfield literally reels."
Sight and Sound - 07/01/2004
"Lana Turner's Cora is all fire and ice, while John Garfield's Frank takes a sweaty, convincing journey from besotted suitor to wary partner in crime."
The sexual chemistry between a drifter and a waitress at a roadside cafe is so intense that they will do anything to be together - even if it means killing the woman's husband.
Set during the Depression, this story concerns an older man and his attractive young wife, who take on drifter Frank Chambers as an employee at their roadside cafe. Cora, the unhappy wife, is searching for a way out of her drab day-to-day existence. Soon she and Frank develop lustful feelings for each other, and their passions grow until they plan a new life together -- a new life that begins with her husband's murder.
- Before production, acotr John Garfield went into the army, so the film's director tested Cameron Mitchell for the lead. But Garfield was released from military service because of a heart condition, and, in the end, he took the role.
- Film debut for actor Cameron Grant.
- The erotic scenes in the film had to be toned down to comply with the standards of the Hays Office. Even this sanitized version was considered shocking by some at the time.