- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 6, 2012
- Label: Capitol
Spin - 12/92, p.69Ranked #20
in Spin's list of the '20 Best Albums Of The Year' - "...Not many metal bands can muster the formidable chops Megadeth exhibits on COUNTDOWN..."
Entertainment Weekly - 7/24/92, p.59
"...Megadeth's fifth and meatiest album...seethes with angry politics...The music has lost its hurricane verve but keeps its crunch, and feels more rooted, even more melodic..." Rating: A-
Q - 9/92, p.784 Stars
- Excellent - "...Megadeth play a multi-layered, highly-charged style of metal guitar music that's fast, flashy and infectious...Megadeth will take you one louder..."
Reflex - 11/10/92, p.73
"...impressively clean, streamlined, and sharp...brimming with killing riffs...[singer] Mustaine's never sounded more confident, verbally and vocally..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Skin O' My Teeth
- 2.Symphony of Destruction
- 3.Architecture of Aggression
- 4.Foreclosure of a Dream
- 5.Sweating Bullets
- 6.This Was My Life
- 7.Countdown to Extinction
- 8.High Speed Dirt
- 10.Captive Honour
- 11.Ashes in Your Mouth
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Intro - (live)
- 2.Holy Wars...The Punishment Due - (live)
- 3.Skin O' My Teeth - (live)
- 4.Wake Up Dead - (live)
- 5.Hangar 18 - (live)
- 6.Countdown to Extinction - (live)
- 7.Foreclosure of a Dream - (live)
- 8.This Was My Life - (live)
- 9.Lucretia - (live)
- 10.Sweating Bullets - (live)
- 11.In My Darkest Hour - (live)
- 12.Conjuring, The - (live)
- 13.Tornado of Souls - (live)
- 14.Ashes in Your Mouth - (live)
- 15.Symphony of Destruction - (live)
- 16.Peace Sells - (live)
- 17.Anarchy in the U.K. - (live)
Megadeth: Dave Mustaine (vocals, guitar); Marty Friedman (guitar, background vocals); David Ellefson (bass, background vocals); Nick Menza (drums, background vocals).
Recorded at The Enterprise, Burbank, California from January 6 to April 28, 1992.
Personnel: Dave Mustaine (vocals, guitar); Marty Friedman (guitar, acoustic guitar, background vocals); David Ellefson (bass guitar, background vocals); Nick Menza (drums, background vocals).
Liner Note Author: Kory Grow.
Recording information: The Cow Palace, San Francisco, CA (01/06/1992-04/28/1992); The Enterprise, Burbank, CA (01/06/1992-04/28/1992); The Cow Palace, San Francisco, CA (12/04/1992); The Enterprise, Burbank, CA (12/04/1992).
Megadeth achieved massive success with their aggressive fourth album, RUST IN PEACE, and its follow-up, 1992's COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION, combined the band's trademark thrash metal with hints of the more mainstream territory that would be further charted on the subsequent YOUTHANASIA. However, on COUNTDOWN, Megadeth never sacrifice their characteristic crunch. "Symphony of Destruction" and "Skin o' My Teeth" boast a slightly streamlined sound, but the anger, sarcasm and signature snarl of frontman Dave Mustaine remain wholly intact. By this time, many major thrash groups had started slowing things down a bit, and Megadeth showed they could be just as powerful doing midtempo rockers as they could with high-velocity barnstormers. As always, Mustaine's dark lyrics tackle a range of personal, social and political topics, the former best exemplified by the multifaceted "Sweating Bullets," which features Mustaine carrying on a dialogue with his own tortured psyche.