|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- 4 Film Favorites: Classic Holiday Collection, Volume 2 (All Mine to Give / It Happened on 5th... ~ $12.16
- Beyond Tomorrow - 11" x 17" Poster ~ $9.98 (Save 33%)
- It Happened on 5th Avenue ~ $5.25
- Remember the Night ~ $14.99 (Save 44%)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 24 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: February 24, 2004
- Originally Released: 1940
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Cinematography by||Lester White|
|Directed by||A. Edward Sutherland & Lee Garmes|
|Original story by||Mildred Cram & Adele Comandini|
|Performer:||Helen Vinson, C. Aubrey Smith, Maria Ouspenskaya, Jean Parker & Richard Carlson|
|Produced by||Lee Garmes|
|Screenplay by||Adele Comandini|
|Starring||Charles Winninger, Richard Carlson, Maria Ouspenskaya & Jean Parker|
Description by OLDIES.com:
The gentlemen decide to prove the inherent goodness of the soul by throwing three wallets, with ten dollars in each, out into the snow to see if and how they are returned. The first wallet is picked up by vain actress, Arlene Terry (Helen Vinson), who appropriates the money and discards the billfold. The other two wallets are picked up and returned by Texan, Jimmy Houston (Richard Carlson), and Jean Lawrence (Jean Parker, star of Edgar G. Ulmer's Bluebeard). Over the next few weeks the fivesome are inseparable and romance blooms between Jimmy and Jean as he croons lyrical love songs into her ear.
Tragedy strikes when the three gentlemen die in a airplane crash. Fearing that his life is passing him by, Jimmy decides to try his luck on the stage and is an overnight sensation. The naive singing cowboy is seduced by the glitter of nightlife, excessive consumption of liquor and curvy Arlene Terry. Jean waits for him at home and cries over a pile of telegrams breaking dates and finally their engagement. Unknown to all, except for psychic Madame Tanya, the three gentlemen return from beyond in an attempt to set things right.
Produced by cinematographer Lee Garmes, Beyond Tomorrow features several splendid montage sequences and clever, dazzling, abstract special effects. One of the most peculiar, warm and wise fantasy films ever made, ace journeyman director A. Edward Sutherland's Beyond Tomorrow is an eerie holiday classic ripe for rediscovery.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 31 ratings.
Beyond Tomorrow sets the stage for the heavenly intervention in the lives of mortals struggling here on earth at Christmas time. Released seven years before It's A Wonderful Life and The Bishop's Wife, Beyond Tomorrow is a delightful story of love and good and evil. This is a well made film with an outstanding cast of character actors. Charles Winninger plays the part of (Michael O'Brien) one of the trio of ghosts awaiting the call from heaven. While waiting, he tries to help a young couple whom he befriended and helped bring together on Christmas Eve.
The other two members of the ghostly trio are played by Harry Carey as (George Melton) the Melton character has turned his back on mankind and has become a bitter old man. C. Aubrey Smith as (Allan Chadwick) plays the part he plays best - the retired British Officer, longing for his days in colonial India and his son, the British flier lost in the World War 1.
The O'Brien character is a good Irish soul full of optimism and faith. While the Melton character has turned his back on mankind and has become a bitter old man. Chadwick with the stiff upper lips trudges through life stoically.
Two more great character actors Jean Parker as (Jean Lawrence) and Richard Carlson as (Jimmy Houston) are two lonely young people brought together by the old trio on Christmas Eve. Helen Vinson as (Arlene Terry) is the cause of all the trouble as she tries to get her hooks on young naive Jimmy who's singing career has brought him quick fame. Maria Ouspenskaya as (Mme. Tanya) the housekeeper and exiled Russian royalty, and Alex Melish as (Josef the Butler) round out this fine cast!
This film contains some wonderful and thought provoking dialogue. Very well written and preformed by this great veteran cast! And some terrific and eerie special effects. This is truly a forgotten holiday classic ripe for rediscovery and a film you will want to watch over and over again!
Leonard Maltin gives this film **1/2 stars. I would rate it ***. This is a very good copy with excellent sound. Thanks Alpha , for a chance to see this wonderful film.
- Sales Rank: 8,195
- UPC: 089218433992
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE