- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 4 hours, 6 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 6, 2012
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Shout Factory Theatr
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Now includes The Beat Goes On (139 minutes, 2012)
- Seventeen chapters of rare and unseen footage, including an all-star lineup: Abbie Hoffman, Timothy Leary, Paul Krassner, Allen Ginsberg, William S. Burroughs and many more
- Collectors Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 04/16/1986
"...Vivid vignettes....An affecting and illuminating memorial to a sad figure..."
Los Angeles Times - 09/20/1986
"...It engages us, amuses us, intellectually prods us, even moves us deeply. It brings us closer to Jack Kerouac than any other film or video record..."
Historic Figures |
- WHAT HAPPENED TO KEROUAC' started as a video project in 1982, but then grew into a full-length feature film over the next 3 years.
- Jack Kerouac died less then a year after his legendary, drunken appearance on William F. Buckley's Firing Line television show in 1968, which is featured in the film.
- The scroll of paper featuring the original text of ON THE ROAD (which was bought in 2002 by Jim Irsay, owner of the football team The Indianapolis Colts) made a tour of US museums and libraries from 2004 to 2007.