Red Allen Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$15.08 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.90 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 24, 2004
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Rebel Records
- 1.Are You Waiting Just For Me
- 2.Whose Shoulder Will You Cry On
- 3.My Baby's Gone
- 5.Summertime Is Past And Gone
- 6.That's How I Can Count On You
- 7.Purple Heart
- 8.I Heard My Mother Call My Name In Prayer
- 9.Seven Year Blues
- 10.I'm On My Way Back To The Old Home
- 11.What About You
- 12.Out On The Ocean
- 13.We Live In Two Different Worlds
- 14.There Must Be Another Way To Live
- 15.Have You Come To Say Goodbye
- 16.Bluegrass Blues
- 17.Send Me Your Address From Heaven
- 18.Milk Cow Blues
- 19.Branded Wherever I Go
- 20.I'm Lonesome And Blue
- 21.If That's The Way You Feel
- 22.Maiden's Prayer
- 23.Love Gone Cold
- 24.I Wonder Where You Are Tonight
- 25.No Mother Or Dad
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Contains 2 LPs on 1 CD: BLUEGRASS COUNTRY (1965)/RED ALLEN & THE KENTUCKIANS (1966).
Originally released on County Records.
Personnel: Red Allen (vocals, tenor, guitar); Red Allen; Porter Church (vocals, tenor, bass voice, guitar, banjo); Bill Yates (vocals, tenor, double bass); David Grisman (vocals, baritone, mandolin); Richard Greene & Beryl Marriott, Richard Greene (fiddle); Jerry McCoury (double bass); Wayne Yates (vocals, tenor, baritone, mandolin); Craig Wingfield (dobro).
Liner Note Author: Jon Hartley Fox.
Recording information: Masterstone Studios, New York, NY (12/03/1965-09/18/1966); WBAI Studios, New York, NY (12/03/1965-09/18/1966).
Photographers: Carl Fleischhauer; Paul Gerry.
Arranger: Red Allen.
Lonesome & Blue is the second Red Allen collection released on Rebel Records in 2004 and, like Keep on Going, represents a bluegrass artist at his best. The primary difference is that the second collection, comprised of material from 1965 and 1966, supplements hardcore bluegrass with a number of classic country songs. On the first half of the collection, Allen is joined by bassist Billy Yates, mandolinist Wayne Yates, banjoist Porter Church, and a young fiddler named Richard Greene. The band delivers striking versions of Bill Monroe's "Summertime Is Past and Gone" and "I'm on My Way Back to the Old Home," but also delves into Ernest Tubb's "Are You Waiting Just for Me" and the Louvin Brothers' "Seven Year Blues" (the latter previously unreleased). On the second half of the collection, Billy and Wayne Yates brothers have been replaced by mandolinist David Grisman and bassist Jerry McCoury, and dobroist Craig Wingfield has been added. The addition of Wingfield, in particular, gives the material an old-timey feel, which proves just right for Mel Tillis' "There Must Be Another Way to Live" and Johnny Bond's "I Wonder Where You Are Tonight." As on Keep on Going, Allen's vocals on Lonesome & Blue inject mountain soul into all of these songs and turn even a familiar favorite like "Milk Cow Blues" into something special. Lonesome & Blue will remind listeners just what real bluegrass and country sounds like, and will be warmly greeted by Allen fans. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$16.98 LABOR DAY
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE