Foolish Wives (Silent)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Silent With Musical Score
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 57 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: January 27, 2004
- Originally Released: 1921
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Erich von Stroheim, Harrison Ford, Mae Busch & Maud George|
|Performer:||Harrison Ford (II), Harrison Ford, Maud George & Mae Busch|
|Directed by||Erich von Stroheim|
|Screenwriting by||Marian Ainslee & Erich von Stroheim|
|Written by||Erich von Stroheim|
|Cinematography by||Ben Reynolds & William H. Daniels|
|Director of Photography:||William H. Daniels|
"...This silent Erich Von Stroheim extravaganza is a treat..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Exuding immorality, the monocled Erich Von Stroheim gives a stellar performance in Foolish Wives, which he also directed and wrote. Von Stroheim's pointed critique skewers both American dull-wittedness and European Old World decadence. Billed as the "First Million Dollar Movie," this powerful silent classic still shocks today.
- "Foolish Wives" furthered Erich von Stroheim's reputation as a profligate director, who squandered the studio's money; the film cost $1,103,736.38, making it the most expensive movie ever made at the time. Von Stroheim insisted on literally recreating the Monte Carlo atmosphere, with lavish and faithful sets, and 1500 extras -- an insistence that made for a truly breathtaking visual experience. Its American release, according to Variety, ran for 180 minutes, but a print distributed in Latin America had a running time of 6 hours, 48 minutes.
In addition, von Stroheim's sophistication about sexual matters came across as sordid to Americans, who were less open about the subject that their European counterparts.
- Kino Video's print was remastered from a 35mm archive print that was restored in 1972 by Professor Arthur Lennig of State University of New York at Albany and the American Film Institute. It features an original piano score by Steve Sterner.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 20 ratings.
A masterpiece (of film and irony- a movie about a fake Count directed by a genius who was later discovered to himself be a fake Count). The image quality of this DVD is fine, of the AFI film restoration as the Kino version, but is somewhat spoiled because it is a silent run at sound speed (usually Alpha takes better care with silents, so this is a double shame; the notorious scene of the evil Count looking the counterfeiter's retarded daughter up and down and then creepily licking his lips just doesn't have the same impact in fast-motion) and accompanied by different, annoyingly irrelevant music. I would have preferred a different, even if damaged, print at silent speed. This movie was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 2008; a fictionalized "making of" was the subject of a Young Indiana Jones episode. The DVD picture quality is fine enough, though, and it's still a great movie.
Eric Von Stroheim is the perfect villain in this movie. He is so despicable that you can hear the audiences of 1921 hiss when he comes on camera. There is no redeeming virtue in the character he plays.
He set the stage for all movie villains to come. Darth Vader looks tame by comparison.
Few Silent films hold up to the modern audience -- but this one does! Great film about a rich Grifter family that will do anything to roll in the bucks. Great gambling sequences and good direction by Actor/Director Von Stroheim. Film is very entertaining and has a twist ending.
- Sales Rank: 9,380
- UPC: 089218431691
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Dramas Movie Categories:
- Wu-Tang Clan Rock the Bells (DVD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
11:14 (DVD) ~
$5.21 Super Savings
12 Angry Men (50th Anniversary Edition) (DVD) ~
$10.84 Super Savings
The 12 Dogs of Christmas (DVD) ~
$7.63 Super Savings
15 (DVD) ~
$14.27 Super Savings
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.