- Released: August 8, 2006
- Label: Raven [Australia]
- 1.When I Stop Dreaming
- 2.I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby
- 3.Don't Laugh
- 4.Let Us Travel, Travel On
- 5.Hoping That You're Hoping
- 6.Knoxville Girl
- 8.Katie Dear
- 9.Let Her Go, God Bless Her
- 10.Plenty of Everything but You
- 11.Cash on the Barrelhead
- 12.You're Running Wild
- 13.New Partner Waltz
- 14.Are You Teasing Me
- 15.I Wish You Knew
- 16.My Baby's Gone
- 17.She Didn't Even Know I Was Gone
- 18.My Baby Came Back
- 20.I Wish It Had Been a Dream
- 21.If I Could Only Win Your Love
- 22.Angels Rejoiced Last Night
- 23.Christian Life
- 24.I Love You Best of All
- 25.I Can't Keep You in Love with Me
- 26.I Feel Better Now
- 27.How's the World Treating You?
- 28.Every Time You Leave
- 29.Must You Throw Dirt in My Face?
- 30.I Don't Love You Anymore
Arrangers: Ira Louvin; Charlie Louvin.
The Louvin Brothers, a sibling duo hailing from Tennessee, gave the high lonesome sound of backwoods bluegrass a shiny pop polish, widening the palette of traditional bluegrass and country gospel, while making some of the most appealing and beautiful music of the genre.
Naturally, it's Charlie and Ira's impeccably tight harmonies that dazzle at first listen, but it's the duo's songs that will keep listeners coming back for more and more. And there are plenty of those songs on the best-of MY BABY'S GONE, a set that brings together 30 of the pair's hits from between 1955 and 1964. ESSENTIAL offers plaintive ballads ("I Wish It Had Been a Dream"), rousing foot-stompers ("Cash on the Barrelhead"), moving gospel numbers ("The Christian Life"), and lilting songs of love gone wrong ("You're Running Wild"), every one a classic, making the set a cornerstone of any country-and-bluegrass-lover's library.