Chet Atkins The Night Atlanta Burned / The First Nashville Guitar Quartet
Only 9 copies left
|You Save:||$2.30 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 6, 2007
- Label: Raven [Australia]
- 2.Mostly Mozart
- 3.Bill Cheatham
- 4.San Antonio Stroll
- 5.To Ann - (The Night Atlanta Burned)
- 6.The Night Atlanta Burned
- 8.Women of Ireland
- 10.Old Folks of Okracoke, The - (The Night Atlanta Burned)
- 11.Carolina Shout
- 12.Londonderry Air
- 13.Love Song of Pepe Sanchez
- 14.Skirts of Mexico
- 15.You Needed Me
- 16.Bound for Boston
- 17.Washington Post March
- 18.Someday My Prince Will Come
- 19.Rings of Grass
- 20.Rodrigo Concerto
- 21.Brandenburg - (The First Nashville Guitar Quartet)
Personnel: Chet Atkins (acoustic guitar); Chet Atkins; John Knowles, Liona Boyd , John Pell (acoustic guitar).
Liner Note Author: Keith Glass.
Recording information: C.A. Workshop, Nashville, TN (1975-1979); Music City Music Hall, Nashville, TN (1975-1979); RCA's "Nashville Sound" Studios (1975-1979).
Author: Chet Atkins.
Arrangers: Chet Atkins; John Knowles; John Pell; Rick Foster.
Chet Atkins' extensive solo discography has often been justly criticized for containing too many throw-away albums and being prone to over-orchestrated arrangements. When the spirit moved him, however, he was capable of spearheading dignified, acoustic country-oriented records that showcased his virtuosic picking in tasteful contexts. Two of the most prominent examples are combined onto one disc on this Australian reissue, which according to the packaging marks their CD debut. From 1975, The Night Atlanta Burned -- actually credited to "The Atkins String Co." -- has Atkins heading a "classic country string quartet" that backs his own guitar with violin, viola, mandolin, and "acoustic guitar rhythm." In its low-key, intelligent blend of country, folk, bluegrass, and classical music, it sounds a little like a PBS soundtrack before its time, but in a good way. From 1979, The First Nashville Guitar Quartet has Atkins leading an all-acoustic guitar quartet, also including John Pell, Liona Boyd, and John Knowles. It too is a smooth but not too slick, eclectic blend of the same influences, though a little less daring, principally owing to the more conventional all-guitar arrangements. Those looking to cut to the chase and pick up only the most meaningful of Atkins '70s solo recordings could do worse than to start with this good-value reissue, even if it's not representative of much of what he did in his lengthy career. ~ Richie Unterberger
Wheeling West Virginia: October 2, 1976 (Live) (CD)
$16.55 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE