Merle Haggard Live from Austin, TX 1985
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.60 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 21, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: New West Records
Record Collector (magazine) - p.964 stars out of 5 -- "[H]e runs through a selection of his best-known numbers and some Bob Wills tunes, picking up a fiddle himself for the latter."
- 1.Okie From Muskogie's Coming Home
- 2.There's A Pair Of Blue Eyes Down In Texas
- 3.Thank You For Keeping My House
- 4.What Am I Gonna Do (With The Rest Of My Life)
- 5.Mama Tried
- 7.Take Me Back To Tulsa
- 8.I Knew The Moment I Lost You
- 9.Silver Wings
- 10.Misery & Gin
- 11.Ida Red
- 12.Place To Fall Apart
- 13.I Wish Things Were Simple Again
- 14.Amber Waves Of Grain
- 15.I Think I'll Just Stay Here & Drink
Personnel: Merle Haggard (vocals, guitar, fiddle); Donna Faye (vocals); Norm Hamlet (guitar, dobro); Roy Nichols, Clint Strong (guitar); Jim Belken (fiddle); Don Markham (saxophone, trumpet); Gary Church (cornet, trombone); Mark Yeary (piano); Biff Adam (drums).
Audio Mixers: Chet Himes; Gary Briggs .
Liner Note Author: Terry Lickona.
Recording information: Austin, TX (10/30/1983).
Editor: Gary Laird.
Though recorded in 1985, this performance by Merle Haggard and the Strangers for the legendary PBS series Austin City Limits wasn't released until 2006 (as part of the Live From Austin, TX, series). No matter, though, since Haggard's music has proved timeless--LIVE might have been recorded in the mid 1960s or yesterday and it would still have that classic sing-me-back-home Bakersfield sound.
Haggard does his fans a good turn by serving up favorites ("Mama Tried"), lesser-known gems ("Misery and Gin"), and genre standards (Bob Wills's "Take Me Back to Tulsa"). The Strangers offer smooth, flawless support behind Haggard's lovely singing, and prove that even 20 years into the game they can still kick it up a notch when necessary ("Ida Red"). This is yet another fine addition to a Hag catalogue already filled with fine music.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Chet Atkins Chet Atkins And His Guitar / The Guitar Genius (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Waylon Jennings The One And Only / Heartaches By The Numbers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash The Singing Storyteller / The Rough Cut King of Country Music (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Rodney Crowell But What Will The Neighbors Think / Rodney Crowell (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE