The Magic Sword
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (50th Anniversary Edition) ~ $11.22
- Captain Sinbad (Widescreen) ~ $11.99 (Save 33%)
- Jack the Giant Killer ~ $4.98 (Save 50%)
- The Magic Sword - 11" x 17" Poster ~ $9.98 (Save 33%)
- Special visual effects by Bert I. Gordon and Flora Gordon
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 17 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 18, 2003
- Originally Released: 1961
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Basil Rathbone & Gary Lockwood|
|Performer:||Anne Helm & Estelle Winwood|
|Directed by||Bert I. Gordon|
|Screenplay by||Bernard Schoenfeld|
|Original story by||Bert I. Gordon|
Description by OLDIES.com:
The Magic Sword is an epic triumph for director Bert I. Gordon, whose previous credits include The Amazing Colossal Man and Attack Of The Puppet People. Inspired by the great colorful fantasy epics that were so popular at the time, Gordon creates a exciting, mythical landscape for the story.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 74 ratings.
The Magic Sword is a great family film featuring silly monsters, a damsel in distress, good looking nights and the incomparable Basil Rathbone as the villain who kidnaps young pretty girls for ransom but eventually ends up feeding them to his pet dragon. There is little violence in this film and the monsters are quite silly. I love time period movies, esp. ones about medieval times.
This movie is silly but enjoyable nonetheless. It is an excellent movie for the kids. They truly don't make family films like this anymore and it is a shame. This film is also available on DVD from MGM for a lot more money than the Alpha Video release. There is nothing special about the MGM release so I recommend saving yourself some money and buying the Alpha version rather than the more expensive MGM release. I guarantee your kids will like this film a lot more than any of the awful computer animated garbage put out by the studios these days.
I am on Turner Classic Movies.
Check it out here.
What a pleasant surprise: innovative special effects, good pace, twists and turns, clever humor, colorful heroes, and dastardly villains. Gary Lockwood as Sir George has surprising screen chemistry with his damsel in distress. Basil Rathbone hams it up as the evil magician. Unfortunately, the dragon appears to be recycled from "Hercules vs the Hydra", minus one head. Keep an eye open for "dragon trainer" in the opening credits!
The tone is mostly light-hearted, though some character fates are too gruesome for very young children. All in all, two thumbs up and three cheers!
- Sales Rank: 6,413
- UPC: 089218427793
- Shipping Weight: 0.26/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE