Ryan Adams Jacksonville City Nights
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$8.34 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.64 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 27, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Lost Highway
Rolling Stone - No. 984, p.1483.5 stars out of 5 - "...[A]n unadulterated return to form..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Ryan Adams (vocals, acoustic guitar, piano); Jon Graboff (various instruments, background vocals); John P. Bowersock (electric guitar); David Gold (violin, viola); Michael Panes, Connie Ellison, Mary Kathryn Van Osdale, Claudia Chopek, Carl Gorodetzky, Pamela Sixfin, Alan Umstead, David Angell, Catherine Umstead (violin); Jim Grosjean, Kris Wilkinson, Gary VanOsdale (viola); Julia Kent, Bob Mason , Carole Rabinowitz-Neuen (cello); Glenn Patscha (piano, background vocals); Joe McGinty (piano); Catherine Popper (keyboards, bass instrument, background vocals); Brad Pemberton (drums); Byron Isaacs (background vocals); Norah Jones (vocals, piano).
Audio Mixers: Ryan Adams; Tom Schick.
Recording information: Emerald Studios, Nashville, TN; Lono Studios, New York, NY.
Photographer: Danny Clinch.
Ryan Adams's sophomore album with his Cardinals backing band, and his second studio offering of 2005, JACKSONVILLE CITY NIGHTS finds the ever-prolific singer/songwriter in his twangy, Gram Parsons-inspired persona. In fact, on "Dear John," jazz/pop superstar Norah Jones plays Emmylou Harris to Adams's Parsons, as the two settle into a slow, smoky duet.
While JACKSONVILLE has an energetic moment or two ("The Hardest Part"), it never wanders anywhere near Adams's amped-up ROCK N ROLL territory. In general, this is melancholy, down-tempo alt-country, which, given Adams's past in Whiskeytown, explains why the performer sounds so at ease here. "A Kiss Before I Go" begins the album on a wistful note, setting the tone with barroom piano lines and weepy pedal-steel work. On "Hardest Way to Fall," Adams indulges in a sauntering Dylan-like vibe, while "September" proves to be almost haunting in its minimalism. Although Adams's artistic reach occasionally exceeds his grasp, JACKSONVILLE CITY NIGHTS finds the artist playing to his strengths, resulting in one of his most consistent records.
Vampires (+ 3 Other Tracks) (Color Vinyl - Small Spindle... (45)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 73 ratings.
Based on 73 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Johnny Cash Sings The Greatest Hits / Sings The Blue Train (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK