Ryan Adams Jacksonville City Nights
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 27, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Lost Highway
Rolling Stone - No. 984, p.1483.5 stars out of 5 - "...[A]n unadulterated return to form..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Ryan Adams (vocals, acoustic guitar, piano); Jon Graboff (various instruments, background vocals); John P. Bowersock (electric guitar); David Gold (violin, viola); Michael Panes, Connie Ellison, Mary Kathryn Van Osdale, Claudia Chopek, Carl Gorodetzky, Pamela Sixfin, Alan Umstead, David Angell, Catherine Umstead (violin); Jim Grosjean, Kris Wilkinson, Gary VanOsdale (viola); Julia Kent, Bob Mason , Carole Rabinowitz-Neuen (cello); Glenn Patscha (piano, background vocals); Joe McGinty (piano); Catherine Popper (keyboards, bass instrument, background vocals); Brad Pemberton (drums); Byron Isaacs (background vocals); Norah Jones (vocals, piano).
Audio Mixers: Ryan Adams; Tom Schick.
Recording information: Emerald Studios, Nashville, TN; Lono Studios, New York, NY.
Photographer: Danny Clinch.
Ryan Adams's sophomore album with his Cardinals backing band, and his second studio offering of 2005, JACKSONVILLE CITY NIGHTS finds the ever-prolific singer/songwriter in his twangy, Gram Parsons-inspired persona. In fact, on "Dear John," jazz/pop superstar Norah Jones plays Emmylou Harris to Adams's Parsons, as the two settle into a slow, smoky duet.
While JACKSONVILLE has an energetic moment or two ("The Hardest Part"), it never wanders anywhere near Adams's amped-up ROCK N ROLL territory. In general, this is melancholy, down-tempo alt-country, which, given Adams's past in Whiskeytown, explains why the performer sounds so at ease here. "A Kiss Before I Go" begins the album on a wistful note, setting the tone with barroom piano lines and weepy pedal-steel work. On "Hardest Way to Fall," Adams indulges in a sauntering Dylan-like vibe, while "September" proves to be almost haunting in its minimalism. Although Adams's artistic reach occasionally exceeds his grasp, JACKSONVILLE CITY NIGHTS finds the artist playing to his strengths, resulting in one of his most consistent records.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 73 ratings.
Based on 73 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- George Jones / Tammy Wynette Golden Ring / Near You (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- The Browns Complete As & Bs and More 1954 - 62 (CD) ~ $14.22 LABOR DAY
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE