- Japanese with English Subtitles
- Audio Commentaries by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski
- Making of the Godzilla Suit featurette
- Godzilla: Story Development featurette
- 16-page book
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 55 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 5, 2006
- Originally Released: 1954
- Label: Classic Media
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- (unspecified) - English
- (unspecified) - Japanese
- Subtitles - English - optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: Original Movie Posters Slideshow
- Audio Commentary: Steve Ryfle - Author, Ed Godiziszewski - Publisher
- Making Of: The Godzilla Suit
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
- Director's Notes
- Additional Products:
- 16 Page Booklet
- Feature Film: GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 05/14/2004
"GODZILLA is still the most awesome of tacky movie monsters..."
New York Times - 09/05/2006
"Ishiro Honda's seminal monster movie....Images of a devastated miniature Tokyo have clearly been modeled on the newsreels of Hiroshima and Nagasaki..."
A.V. Club - 02/01/2012
"Honda pours a vast inventory of nuclear references and cultural fears, including direct talk of the ethical responsibility of scientists, allusions to Hiroshima and H-bomb testing in the Pacific, and a moving swell of national resilience and pride." -- Grade: A
Description by OLDIES.com:
The ocean's surface boils white-hot and a Japanese freighter mysteriously vanishes in the Pacific. Rescue boats meet the same fate, and the superstitious villagers of Odo Island fear an ancient legend has come true: the legend of Godzilla! Reawakened from eons-long sleep by an H-bomb test, the behemoth seeks revenge on the civilized world, turning Tokyo into a wasteland of atomic fire and rubble. Caught in the monster's path of destruction are young lovers Emiko and Ogata, who must betray their friend Dr. Serizawa, a brilliant but tormented scientist, in order to save the world.
Classic Media presents the original and uncut Japanese-language version of Ishiro Honda's Gojira (1954), critically acclaimed as a bold anti-nuclear allegory and one of the greatest monster movies of all time. Also included is Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1956), the popular "Americanized" version starring Raymond Burr as a reporter covering Godzilla's rampage.
The testing of nuclear weapons in the Pacific Ocean triggers the awakening of a dreadful, 400-foot-tall, fire-breathing prehistoric lizard who commences to wreak havoc on the city of Tokyo. The original Japanese version of GODZILLA, without the Americanized addition of Raymond Burr.