- Released: August 29, 2000
- Label: King
Uncut - 5/04, p.1094 stars out of 5
- "Merle gets suitably country-tough on superior 1970 live-in Philly effort FIGHTIN' SIDE OF ME..."
- 1.Just Between the Two of Us
- 2.A House Without Love Is Not a Home
- 3.Slowly But Surely
- 4.Our Hearts Are Holding Hands
- 5.I Wanta Live Again
- 6.Forever and Ever
- 7.That Makes Two of Us
- 8.I'll Take a Chance
- 9.Stranger in My Arms
- 10.Too Used to Being With You
- 11.So Much For Me, So Much For You
- 12.Wait a Little Longer, Please Jesus
2 LPs on 1 CD: JUST BETWEEN THE TWO OF US (1966)/THE FIGHTIN' SIDE OF ME (1970).
Personnel includes: Merle Haggard, Bonnie Owens.
THE FIGHTIN' SIDE OF ME was recorded live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Featuring Merle Haggard and his second wife, Bonnie Owens, 1966's JUST BETWEEN THE TWO OF US is a stunningly successful collaboration, featuring a sparkling collection of traditional country love and heartbreak songs. The album's wildly successful title track had spent some months on the country charts before it was replaced by Haggard's first hit record, "(My Friends Are Gonna Be) Strangers." The pristine production highlights the duo's ideally matched vocals on material ranging from the beautiful "Our Hearts Are Holding Hands" to the rueful breakup song, "Just Between the Two of Us." Haggard's voice here shows the strong influence of fellow Bakersfield musician (and Bonnie's ex-husband) Buck Owens, particularly on the classic Bakersfield cut, "Slowly But Surely," while Bonnie's feisty vocals more than hold their own.