Platoon (2-DVD, Collector's Edition)
|You Save:||$2 (10% Off)|
Audio Commentary with Military Advisor Dale Dye
Audio Commentary by Director Oliver Stone
Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Oliver Stone
Creating the 'Nam / One War, Many Stories / Raw Wounds: The Legacy of Platoon / Snapshot in Time: 1967-1968 / Tour of the Inferno / Preparing for 'Nam
TV Spots, Photo Gallery and Theatrical Trailer
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours
- Video: Color
- Released: May 30, 2006
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Surround - French, Spanish
- DTS (unspecified) - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Bonus Footage
- Featurette: "Preparing for 'Nam"
- Audio Commentary:
- Dale Dye - Military Advisor
- Oliver Stone - Director
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Willem Dafoe, Charlie Sheen & Tom Berenger|
|Performer:||Kevin Dillon, Johnny Depp, John C. McGinley, Francesco Quinn, Forest Whitaker, Keith David & Richard Edson|
|Directed by||Oliver Stone|
|Screenwriting by||Oliver Stone|
|Composition by||Stephen Barber & Georges Delerue|
|Produced by||A. Kitman Ho & Arnold Kopelson|
|Director of Photography:||Robert Richardson|
|Executive Production by||Derek Gibson & John Daly|
"...Wrenching..." - Recommended
"Nothing that Oliver Stone has done before...is preparation for the singular achievement of his latest film, PLATOON....A major piece of work, as full of pasion as it is of redeeming, scary irony..."
"...Intense....Very effective scenes....An impressive-looking production in all respects..."
"...This is movie-making with a zealot's fervor....[Stone] may have achieved a remarkable bridge with PLATOON. He has personalized a war for us..."
"...With incredible set pieces and gripping firefights the belie the tiny budget, PLATOON's impact has barely diminished over the years..."
4 stars out of 5 -- "[A] phenomenon....Importantly, Stone captured something of what it felt like to fight in the war."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Winner of 4 Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director, Platoon stars Charlie Sheen as Chris Taylor, an idealistic new recruit who quickly comes to realize the savage brutality of war. As he struggles to adapt to the rules of the jungle, he witnesses his platoon divide into two opposing factions. Led by Sgt. Barnes (Tom Berenger), a combat-loving sadist, the soldiers massacre a Vietnamese village while on patrol. When Sgt. Grodin (Willem Dafoe), a kind-hearted free spirit, confronts him, the two set out on a path of mutual destruction, taking the entire platoon with them. Fear, chaos, and the heart-pounding fight for survival ensues as the men are faced not only with an unforgiving enemy, but also with their own deadly cruelty.
- Theatrical Release: December 21, 1986
- PLATOON is number 83 on the American Film Institute's list of America's 100 Greatest Movies.
- Estimated budget: $6 million.
- The film has grossed more than $150 million worldwide.
- Oliver Stone's first choices for the roles of Barnes and Elias were James Woods and Kevin Costner, respectively.
- Stone received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart during his service in Vietnam.
- Set in 1967; Produced and released in 1986.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
- Sales Rank: 78,423
- UPC: 027616144874
- Shipping Weight: 0.39/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.