Cliffie Stone's Radio Transcriptions 1945-1949 (Live)
by Various Artists
- Released: September 5, 1996
- Label: Country Routes
- 1.Draggin' the Bow - Harold Hensley
- 2.Beautiful Brown Eyes - Armstrong Twins
- 3.Mine All Mine - Tennessee Ernie Ford / Merle Travis
- 4.Mule Skinner Blues - Lloyd Armstrong / Tennessee Ernie Ford
- 5.Little Cabin Home on the Hill - Harold Hensley / Les Anderson / Armstrong Twins
- 6.Blue Steel Blues - Les Anderson
- 7.Stuck Up Blues / Mandolin Boogie / Bill Cheatum - Eddie Kirk / Harold Hensley / Lloyd Armstrong / Armstrong Twins
- 8.Red's Boogie - Red Murrell
- 9.Freight Train Blues / After You've Gone - Jack Rivers / Jimmy Wakely
- 10.Flop Eared Mule - Harold Hensley
- 11.Sugar Hill - Cliffie Stone / Eddie Kirk / Harold Hensley
- 12.Cactus Set-Up - Eddie Kirk / Harold Hensley
- 13.Daughter of Jole Blon' - Cliffie Stone / Eddie Kirk / Harold Hensley
- 14.Steel Guitar Rag - Andy Hallcom / Tex Atchison
- 15.Free Little Bird - Andy Hallcom / Tex Atchison / Merle Travis
- 16.Honky Tonkin' - Patsy Armstrong / Armstrong Twins
- 17.Oh, Lady Be Good - Harold Hensley / Tex Atchison / Merle Travis
- 18.Sally Goodin' - Fiddlin' Arthur Smith / Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith
- 19.Little Rock Getaway - Jack Rivers
- 20.[Untitled Hidden Track]
Personnel: Patsy Armstrong, Tennessee Ernie Ford (vocals); Eddie Kirk, Jack Rivers (guitar, electric guitar); Lloyd Armstrong (guitar, mandolin); Floyd Armstrong, Merle Travis (guitar); Red Murrell (electric guitar); Les Anderson, Andy Hallcom (steel guitar); Harold Hensley, Tex Atchison (fiddle); Billy Liebert (accordion).
Audio Remasterer: Charlie Crump.
Liner Note Author: Lou Curtiss.
Recording information: KRKD (12/??/1945-07/05/1949); KXLA, Pasadena (12/??/1945-07/05/1949).
Introduction bys: Dusty Rhodes ; Jack Rivers.
Cliffie Stone's Radio Transcriptions 1945-49 contains 19 performances from several of the biggest names in country music of the late '40s. Stone was one of the best-known and most-popular record producers and radio hosts in California during that era, and was responsible for helping to promote many of the best performers on the West Coast during that time, as this compilation proves. Radio Transcriptions boasts an impressive array of styles and talents, ranging from the country-boogie of Tennessee Ernie Ford with Merle Travis and the hillbilly duets of the Armstrong Twins, to the swinging guitarist Red Murrell and the smooth croons of Jimmy Wakely. It's an entertaining and informative portrait of West Coast country in the post-war years, and many diehard country fans will find it very worthwhile. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Chet Atkins And His Guitar / The Guitar Genius (CD)(5)
$1.98 on SALE
But What Will The Neighbors Think / Rodney Crowell (CD)(9)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!