My Gal Sal (Full Screen)
20th Century Fox Cinema Archives (series)
|You Save:||$8.16 (30% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- ASPECT RATIO 4:3 (FULL FRAME)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 11, 2012
- Originally Released: 1942
- Label: Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
- PCM Mono - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Rita Hayworth, Victor Mature, John Sutton, Carole Landis, James Gleason & Phil Silvers|
|Directed by||Irving Cummings|
|Screenwriting by||Darrell Ware, Karl Tunberg & Seton I. Miller|
|Composition by||Ralph Rainger|
|Director of Photography:||Ernest Palmer|
Description by OLDIES.com:
The short but colorful life of turn-of-the-last-century tunesmith Paul Dresser is given a lavish treatment as Rita Hayworth and Victor Mature give star wattage to this delightful and snappy musical.
A pregnant Alice Faye was forced to bow out of this colorful Fox musical, which instead went to Rita Hayworth, whom the studio borrowed from Columbia. Hayworth plays the highly fictitious Sally Elliott of the title, a musical star teaming up with Indiana boy Paul Dresser (Victor Mature), a runaway who after a brief stopover in a tank town medicine show arrives in Gay Nineties New York full of verve and vigor. There he composes the title tune for the fair lady and becomes the toast of Tin Pan Alley. There are the obligatory bumps on the road along the way, of course, but everything ends, as any Fox musical should, with a grand and glorious finale. Although Fox publicity claimed that MY GAL SAL was based on a My Brother Paul, a biography by the composer's brother, Theodore Dreiser, it was actually concocted from an unpublished manuscript by Dreiser and his wife Helen Richardson. The film earned Oscars™ for art and set decoration and included such Dresser songs as "On the Banks of the Wabash", "I'se Your Honey, If You Wants Me, Liza", "Come Tell Me What's Your Answer (Yes or No)" and "Mr. Volunteer. House songwriters Leo Robin and Ralph Rainger contributed "Me and My Fella" and "On the Great White Way.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,041
- UPC: 024543827429
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s and 30s (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful Racial Abuses of Hollywood's Yesteryear (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Big Town, Volume 1 (Heart of the City) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Benghazi Desert War: The Fighting Rats of Tobruk / Desert Victory (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Trains - The Golden Age of Trains, Volume 1 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE