Orphans of the Storm (Silent)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 58 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 20, 2003
- Originally Released: 1921
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Lillian Gish & Dorothy Gish|
|Performer:||Joseph Schildkraut, Monte Blue, Creighton Hale, Frank Puglia & Dorothy Gish|
|Directed by||D.W. Griffith|
|Original story by||A. D'ennery|
|Cinematography by||Billy Bitzer|
Description by OLDIES.com:
In this 1921 masterpiece, D.W. Griffith displays the flair for epic storytelling first seen in his classic Birth Of A Nation. Adeptly referencing the recent Bolshevik rebellion in Russia, he makes a grand statement about excess and tyranny. Lavish sets, magnificent costumes, vast mob scenes, and Griffith's signature cinematic vision punctuate this heroic melodrama. The ethereal beauty of the Gish sisters creates haunting, indelible images. Filmed at Griffith's Mamaroneck, NY studio, Orphans Of The Storm dramatically confirms Griffith's title of "Father of the Cinema."
Griffith captures the class injustice at the heart of this story by contrasting scenes of lavish parties at the houses of the nobles with the abject poverty of the beggars outside. The thrilling use of crowds and meticulous historical accuracy make this an epic comparable in scope and theme to BIRTH OF A NATION, which is how Griffith undoubtedly meant it. The film is silent, with tinted scenes and film score.
- Theatrical release: December 28, 1921.
- ORPHANS OF THE STORM was shot in Mamaroneck, New York, where director D.W. Griffith built a reconstruction of eighteenth century Paris.
- The film is based on the play LES DEUX ORPHELINES (THE TWO ORPHANS) by Adolphe d'Ennery and Eugène Cormon.
- According to the review in Variety, the film originally ran 170 minutes.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 36 ratings.
I first saw this at the wonderful san francisco Castro Theater with a live organ accompaniment with a packed house - over 700 movie buffs in the house, and man it was great. The Gish sisters are superb in this one, and the story rocks.
It's one of the few remaining films that showcase the Gish sisters together, and that alone means you must have this. I mean there's Revolution, sisters divided by chance, a decadent Ruling Class, and Paris.... great sets, great direction and of course great acting by Lillian and Dorothy Gish.
As you watch this movie, even knowing that it's very old and aware of the cultural gap between you and those who made this movie, and even without the benefit of sound or dialog, the talent of Lillian Gish will suck you into the story and have you cheering her on while cursing her enemies. She's that good.
This is truly a Silent Screen masterpiece by the greatest movie pioneer DW Griffith. A very complicated story gives way to an exciting tale during the French Revolution. This is a good film to get acquainted with Lillian Gish (and Dorothy Gish as her blind Sister)and her work in the glory days of Cinema. Alpha Video has given us a great service by putting these silent films on DVD -- best investment you will ever make for your Library.
A masterpiece from D.W. Griffith. Great sets, costumes and story as two sisters search for each other during the turbulence of the French Revolution. Detail is perfect and the Gish sisters are adorable. Nice classic silent.
- Sales Rank: 6,583
- UPC: 089218416391
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Dramas Movie Categories:
- Elvis Presley Deluxe Box Set (10-DVD) ~ $49.48
- Wu-Tang Clan Rock the Bells (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
$10.41 Super Savings
12 Angry Men (50th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
$9.17 Super Savings
The 12 Dogs of Christmas (DVD)
$10.73 Super Savings
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.