Pete Seeger Pete Remembers Woody (2-CD)
|You Save:||$2 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: September 25, 2012
- Originally Released: 2012
- Label: Appleseed Records
Mojo (Publisher) - p.943 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he stories alone are timeless and touching. The set is fleshed out with vintage recordings and guest tracks, all adding up to a loving tribute..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Woody'S Ghost, Pt. 1
- 2.Pete Meets Woody [Spoken Word]
- 3.Are There Any Mountains Near Here? [Spoken Word]
- 4.Woody Writes This Land is Your Land [Spoken Word]
- 5.America Learns This Land is Your Land [Spoken Word]
- 6.My Big Education [Spoken Word]
- 7.66 Highway Blues
- 8.How To Sing In Saloons [Spoken Word]
- 9.Riding the Freights [Spoken Word]
- 10.Rambling the Appalachians [Spoken Word]
- 11.Which Side Are You On?
- 12.You'D Better Get Them Singing [Spoken Word]
- 13.Union Maid
- 14.Songs Woody Liked [Spoken Word]
- 15.New York Town
- 16.Reading and Writing [Spoken Word]
- 17.The Minstrel Song [Spoken Word]
- 18.On the Radio [Spoken Word]
- 19.Do Re Mi
- 20.Woody Sez [Spoken Word]
- 21.Why Do You Stand There In the Rain? [Spoken Word]
- 22.The Flip-Flop [Spoken Word]
- 23.The Almanacs Go West [Spoken Word]
- 24.The Sinking of the Reuben James
- 25.The Folk Process [Spoken Word]
- 26.Woody Trilogy: Hard Travelin'/This Train / There'S a Better a-Coming
- 27.Fighting Fascism Starts Right Here [Spoken Word]
- 28.If I Had a Hammer
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Woody'S Ghost, Pt. 2
- 2.From Wwii To the Weavers [Spoken Word]
- 3.Just Make It a General Song [Spoken Word]
- 4.So Long It'S Been Good To Know Yuh!
- 5.The Last Time I Heard Woody Sing [Spoken Word]
- 6.Pastures of Plenty
- 7.The Freest Place On Earth [Spoken Word]
- 8.This Machine Kills Fascists [Spoken Word]
- 9.Little Arlo Writes Things Down [Spoken Word]
- 10.Woody In the Balcony [Spoken Word]
- 11.This Land is Your Land
- 12.The Last Visit [Spoken Word]
- 13.My Peace
- 14.Woody Lives On [Spoken Word]
- 15.I Ain'T Got No Home
- 16.Howdy Little Newlycome
- 17.Peace Pin Boogie
- 18.Woody'S Rulins
- 19.I've Got To Know
- 20.Woody'S Ghost, Pt. 3
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Tributee: Woody Guthrie.
Tributee: Woody Guthrie.
Personnel: Pete Seeger (banjo); Ralph Storm, Cathy Fink (banjo).
Liner Note Author: David Bernz.
Photographer: David Bernz.
This set is exactly what the title says it is -- Pete Seeger remembering his friend and sometimes musical collaborator Woody Guthrie. What it isn't is a collection of Pete Seeger singing Woody Guthrie songs, although there are a few performances of Seeger doing that here -- one also gets Arlo Guthrie and others presenting Woody Guthrie songs. Seeger's main role in this release is to reminisce, which he does. Now 93 years of age, the 21-year-old Seeger met Guthrie at a benefit concert in 1940 when Guthrie was 27 and, falling under the spell of Guthrie's songs, music, and charisma, Seeger began traveling and playing music with him, most notably in the Almanac Singers (there's a version of the Almanac Singers' "Reuben James" included here). Seeger talks about what it was like to travel with Guthrie and the genesis of songs like "This Land Is Your Land," "New York Town," and "Do Re Mi." In the second half of this set, Seeger talks about Guthrie's legacy, the folk boom he godfathered, and his influence on Seeger's own journeys and struggles. Versions of Guthrie's songs are scattered through these remembrances, giving them added grace and lift. Guthrie himself makes an appearance, and is heard playing and singing "New York Town" with Cisco Houston on a recording the two made in 1940. There really isn't anything new in this package, but the way it's fit together, arranged, and sequenced makes it more than just an archival sort of release. Seeger has his own legacy, and to hear him talk about his friend and mentor is worth the price of admission, and with the songs laced all through the story, it becomes an even bigger story, one that is still unfolding in influence a decade or more into the 21st century. ~ Steve Leggett
Pete SeegerThe Complete Bowdoin College Concert 1960 (Live) (2-CD)
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)(4)
$2.98 on SALE
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 1-4 (CD)(2)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
American Songs of The Revolution & Civil War Era (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE