The Red House
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- From The Novel By George Agnew Chamberlain
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 40 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: March 18, 2003
- Originally Released: 1947
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Edward G. Robinson, Julie London & Lon McCallister|
|Performer:||Rory Calhoun, Judith Anderson, Allene Roberts, Ona Munson & Harry Shannon|
|Directed by||Delmer Daves|
|Edited by||Merrill White|
|Screenwriting by||Delmer Daves|
|Composition by||Miklos Rozsa|
|Produced by||Sol Lesser|
|Director of Photography:||Bert Glennon|
"A sort of rural noir, THE RED HOUSE combines smothering foreboding -- and Robinson's anguished gargoyle mask -- with fresh outdoor photography and a keen sense of quotidian existence in remote places..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Director Delmer Daves only endeavor into the horror genre, THE RED HOUSE starts out slow, but ends with a bang. Young Julie London is swooning as the virginal Tibby and McCallister's expressions of madness and trepidation seem absolutely authentic. Miklos Roza's score is perhaps the most fun, as it prominently features the Theremin: an instrument played without touch often heard in early sci-fi films.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 73 ratings.
An eerie mystery until the last 10 minutes, it kept me on the edge of my seat.
For some reason I expected a better movie than this. (Then again it's hard to have a story about a red house in a black and white film.) It's great seeing a young Julie London - wow she was hot - but what's with Edward G Robinson? He overacts and emotes his way through the role.
this must be one of the best of the alpha releases. a true classic of suspense. the night scenes in the forest are really creepy and robinson does himself proud as the 'kindly' farmer with a dark secret. recommended.
I'll keep it short, and sweet.
Buy this film. Robinson and Anderson are probably two of the greatest screen actors of any era. The story is intense and the performances are first rate.
I'll say it, again -- buy this film, you won't regret it.
This is one of my favorite movies from any era. I love the atmosphere, the mystery, and especially the characters (even wacky Pete, E. G. Robinson). I first saw this movie on the late, late show. Every time I watch it now, it takes me back to that first night. AS I build my collection of DVD's, my goal is to find movies as good as this one.
I agree with the above reviewers comments about the quality, but I have had a vhs copy of this from another retailer, and the quality is the same. It is possible that the original print has deteriorated. However, the plot of this movie and the acting makes up for any deficiencies in the film. The film also features Dame Judith Anderson and Rory Calhoun in a delightful villainous role. Enjoy.
This is a great 40's film with a chilling performance by Edward G. Robinson. Robinson plays a farmer who committed a murder years ago and is now slowly decending into madness. Some of the scenes in the woods near the farm during a thunder storm will raise the hair on the back of your neck. The red house, hidden in the woods makes it'a appearance in the second half of the film when it becomes clear what the mystery is all about. The Alpha dvd picture is a little scratchy but ok, and the sound is slightly muffled. However, it is still a watchable and engrossing movie, and in the 5-10 dollar range, who's complaining. This is one of my favorite movies and the less than 5-star rating is because of the print and sound quality.
Reviewed by Rick Rogers, a lifelong movie fanatic, who was raised in a movie theater and saw most of these films on the big screen.
- Sales Rank: 6,384
- UPC: 089218414090
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE