- Widescreen, Trailer, Audio: English, French & Spanish
- Subtitles: French & Spanish
- Closed-Captioned (CC)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 8, 2001
- Originally Released: 1955
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Dolby Digital Mono - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Total Film - 12/01/2000
"...An engaging drama..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Burt Lancaster (Elmer Gantry
) makes his directorial debut with this superb, action-packed western. Featuring a poignant, unconventional screenplay by A.B. Guthrie, Jr., and a powerful performance by legendary actor Walter Matthau in his first screen role, The Kentuckian
is an unforgettable western adventure of the highest caliber.
Big Eli Wakefield (Lancaster) and his young son, Little Eli (Donald MacDonald), are rugged Kentucky adventures who long for an exciting life on the Texas frontier. They soon learn, however, that the greatest challenge to their progress lies not in the uncharted wilderness, but in the people they meet along the way. Thrust into the midst of a bitter family feud, Eli confronts both the deadly rage of a madman (Walter Matthau) and the love of a beautiful woman (Diana Lynn). But when he's lured into a brutal final showdown, Eli discovers that the only way to escape with his life is to stay true to his convictions, his honor and his dream.
A rugged frontiersman and his son travel to Texas in search of a place where they can begin a new life. They face numerous rough characters in their struggle to survive on the Texas prairie. Burt Lancaster directed and stars in this solid, fondly remembered western, and Walter Matthau makes his film debut as a whip-wielding brute. Based on the novel "The Gabriel Horn" by Felix Holt.
Burt Lancaster both directed and starred in this tale of a Kentucky woodsman who dreams of settling in the west. Big Eli sets off for Texas along with his son and dog, but along the way he finds more adventure, danger and romance than he imagined possible. Among the people he encounters are an indentured servant girl trying to free herself from the nasty barman who "owns" her; an attractive small-town schoolteacher who temporarily diverts Eli from his journey; and several backwoods villains.
Family Interaction |
- Film debut for Walter Matthau.
- Color by Technicolor. Shot in CinemaScope.
- Additional cast: Donald MacDonald (Little Eli).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 27 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 6,976
- UPC: 027616861061
- Shipping Weight: 0.28/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item