- Subtitles: French & Spanish
- Closed-Captioned (CC)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 20, 2001
- Originally Released: 1958
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Mono - Spanish
- Dolby Digital Stereo - English
- Dolby Digital Stereo - French
- Additional Release Material:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1958 -
Best Supporting Actor: Burl Ives
USA Today - 03/30/2001
"...Sprawling....Jerome Moross' musical score is widely regarded as one of the best ever..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
One of Hollywood's greatest directors teams with a cast of incredible screen legends for this bold, sweeping tale of a ship's captain who ventures west to find a hotbed of jealousy, hatred and dangerous rivalries. As the reluctant hero is thrust into the maelstrom, he must summon all of his resolve to save not only his own life, but also the life of the woman he loves.
William Wyler directs this action-packed adventure that triumphs as "a work of art" (Motion Picture Herald). Starring Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Jean Simmons, Chuck Connors and Burl Ives, this magnificently entertaining epic will take your breath away with unbridled suspense, exhilarating excitement and explosive drama on a grand scale.
Wyler's sprawling tale of the West, filled with feuds, vengeance and violent jealousy. In a dry, parched canyon located in the southwest, a rich rancher battles it out with a poor counterpart for water rights. Yet in fact, neither man has control of the precious liquid. It really belongs to Julie Maragon, and she generously allows them both to use it. But when a cultured Easterner arrives with plans to marry the wealthy rancher's daughter, his presence sparks a fresh round of anger and resentment.
- Shot in Technirama, a widescreen process.