The Maddox Brothers & Rose America's Most Colorful Hillbilly Band, Volume 2
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by The Maddox Brothers & Rose ~ A Collection of Standard Sacred Songs ~ $8.69
- by The Maddox Brothers & Rose ~ Live on the Radio: Excerpts from 1953 Radio Broadcasts (2-CD) ~ $15.28
- by The Maddox Brothers & Rose ~ On the Air: The 1940's (Live) ~ $15.28
- by Rose Maddox ~ Reckless Love & Bold Adventure ~ $12.35
- Released: August 10, 1995
- Label: Arhoolie Records
Dirty Linen - 2-3/96, p.83"the California family group that was called America's most colorful hillbilly band when it operated from the late 30s to the mid-50s....The instrumental mix of one of the most raucous country bands features fiddle, bass, mandolin, electric and steel guitar..."
- 1.New Mule Skinner Blues
- 2.I Couldn't Believe It Was True
- 3.You've Been Talking In Your Sleep
- 4.Gosh, I Miss You All The Time
- 5.I'm Sending Daffydills
- 7.Chill In My Heart
- 8.Texas Guitar Stomp
- 9.Eight Thirty Blues
- 10.It's Only Human Nature
- 11.Why Not Confess
- 12.I'll Never Do It Again
- 13.Just One Little Kiss
- 14.I Love The Women
- 15.I Still Write Your Name In The Sand
- 16.Last Night I Heard You Crying In Your Sleep
- 17.You're Gonna Be Sorry Some Of These Days
- 18.No One Is Sweeter Than You
- 19.Detour # 2
- 20.Mama Says It's Naughty
- 21.I've Stopped My Dreamin' About You
- 22.Kiss Me Quick & Go
- 23.Freight Train Boogie
- 24.Lonesome Hearted Blues
- 25.Cherokee Maiden
- 26.Okie Boogie
- 27.No One Will Ever Know
- 28.Red Silk Stockings & Green Perfume
- 29.Garden In The Sky
- 30.Dear Lord, Take My Hand
The Maddox Brothers & Rose: Cal Maddox (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Fred Maddox (vocals, bass); Rose Maddox, Mrs. Lulu Maddox (vocals); Cliff Maddox (mandolin); Henry Maddox (guitar, mandolin).
Additional personnel: Jimmy Winkle (guitar); Bob Duncan (steel guitar).
Recorded between 1947 & 1951. Includes liner notes by Jonny Whiteside.
Culled from sessions dating from 1947 to 1951, the 30 songs on AMERICA'S MOST COLORFUL HILLBILLY BAND VOL. 2 present the band's golden period making it a great introduction, as well as a satisfying listen for longtime enthusiasts. The phrase "hillbilly music" could have been invented to describe the Maddox Brothers & Rose. All the hallmarks are here: folksy idioms, family harmonies, instruments fighting for room to solo, breakneck (for the era) tempos, and backing musicians that holler loudly and often, as if trying to bait the audience into having more fun than they are. The latter is the band's calling card and decades later the performances on this collection still crackle. The group pushes the tempo of each number, suggesting that they were only playing "hillbilly music" because rock & roll had not yet been invented.
Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight: Ugly and Slouchy (CD)
$20.91 Super Savings
A Proper Introduction to That'll Learn Ya Durn Ya (CD)(2)
The Most Colorful Hillbilly Band in America (4-CD Box Set)(3)
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
Sings The Greatest Hits / Sings The Blue Train (CD)(2)
$4.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)(10)
$5.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE