- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 55 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: February 1, 2005
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Surround - French
- DTS 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: THX Trailer
- Audio Commentary:
- Jan De Bont - Director
- Graham Yost - Writer; Mark Gordon - Producer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1994 -
Academy Awards 1994 -
Best Sound Effects Editing
Premiere - 11/01/1994
"...[De Bont] delivers a wild ride that's worth the fare..." - Recommended
Rolling Stone - 06/30/1994
"...A crackling blend of suspense and fun that gives you the rush of a runaway roller coaster..."
New York Times - 06/10/1994
"...Delivers wall-to-wall action....[Reeves has] become an actor of real charisma....Hopper finds new ways to convey crazy menace..."
Entertainment Weekly - 06/17/1994
"...[A] dazzling action thriller....Even Hitchcock, I think, would have approved..." -- Rating: A
USA Today - 06/10/1994
"...It's one of those won't quit action pics that make Hollywood the frequent envy of world cinema..." -- 3 1/2 out of 4 stars
Los Angeles Times - 06/10/1994
"...Invigorating....De Bont and his team have turned in a visually sophisticated piece of mayhem that makes the implausible plausible and keeps the thrills coming..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 06/10/1994
"...It's a smart, inventive thriller....A great entertainment..."
Wall Street Journal - 06/12/2009
"SPEED has become a classic action thriller, and rightly so. It was made in the predigital days when special effects looked real because most of them were real..."
Jack Traven is a risk-taking SWAT Team officer, pitted against a mad-bomber, Howard Payne. Howard has a pattern of coming up with ingenious, deadly schemes: for example, he rigs an L.A. bus so that, after it reaches a speed of 50 mph, it will explode if it slows to below that rate.
Theatrical Release |
- Directorial debut for cinematographer Jan De Bont.
- Released theatrically in the USA June 10, 1994.
- Shot in Panavision Widescreen.
- Rated BBFC 15 by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Copyright 1994 20th Century Fox Film Corporation.