- Released: February 21, 2006
- Label: Compass Records
Dirty Linen - p.95"On its sixth CD, Irish instrumental group Lunasa continues to ply its tried and true blend of beguiling melodies and technical virtuosity."
- 1.The Cullybacky Hop: Mike Hobin's / Emmet's Hegehog / Dunrobin Castle
- 2.Leckan M¢r: Kalyana, Emer Maycock / Above in the Garret / Leckan M¢r
- 3.Absent Friends: Absent Friends / Ivory Lady
- 4.Loophead: Bolton St./The Millstream / Loophead Lighthouse
- 5.Midnight in Avil‚s: N'Alcordanza / Soig's Plinn / Skolvan Doubl Plinn
- 6.The Dingle Berries: The Hop Slide / Padraig O'Keefe's / Nessa the ...
- 7.Black River: Across the Black River / Iain MacDonald's
- 8.Road to Barga: Timmy Collins'/Road to Barga
- 9.Two of a Kind: Showacho / Portobello
- 11.Boy in the Boat: The Ballivanich Reel / The Boy in the Boat / The Stone of
L£nasa: Cillian Vallely (pipes); Tim Edey, Kevin Crawford, Sean Smyth, Trevor Hutchinson, Paul Meehan.
Personnel: Sean Smyth (whistling, fiddle); Tim Edey, Paul Meehan (guitar); Conor Brady (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Kevin Crawford (flute, tin whistle, bodhran); Cillian Vallely (Uilleann pipe); Karl Ronan (trombone); Peter Fitzpatrick (piano); Trevor Hutchinson (double bass).
Audio Mixer: Trevor Hutchinson.
Recording information: Amberville Studios; Antrim And Marguerite Studios, Dublin, Ireland; Marguerite Studios, Glasnevin, Dublin, Ireland.
Photographer: Giorgia Bertazzi.
Arrangers: Trevor Hutchinson; Cillian Vallely; Kevin Crawford; Sean Smyth; Tim Edey.
With a number of awards under their belt, an impressive string of albums, and a reputation as energetic live performers, it's little surprise that any new release by L£nasa will be a highly anticipated one. The band's current lineup, double bassist Trevor Hutchinson, fiddler/whistle player Sean Smyth, flutist/whistle player Kevin Crawford, and pipe player Cillian Vallely, are joined by a number of guests for a lively set of traditional and traditional-sounding instrumentals on S‚. The predominance of flutes and fiddles on pieces like the melancholy "Absent Friends" creates a lilting soundscape, allowing the listener to float along with the gentle mood. Other pieces, like "Loophead" and the opening "The Cullybacky Hop," are custom-made for kicking up one's heels. S‚ is so listenable in part because the fresh arrangements vitally fill but never overcrowd each piece. While the clear sound of each individual instrument is quite easy to separate on a quiet piece like "Glentrasna," the clarity of the production also shows up on the jaunty "Leckan Mor." It should also be noted, for those who may be unfamiliar with the band, that the members of L£nasa are less concerned with showy solo work than with melding together as a supporting ensemble. For old fans or anyone looking for a worthy introduction to L£nasa, S‚ will prove a pleasing release. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE