Sharon Shannon Each Little Thing [Bonus Track]
- Released: March 15, 2005
- Label: Compass Records
- 1.Mouth of the Tobique: Lad O"Beirnes / Dowds Favourite / The Mouth of ...": Lad O'Beirne's / Dowd's Favourite / The Mouth Of The Tobique
- 2.Kids: Fead an Fhiolair / Never Going Back Again: Fead An Fhiolair / Never Going Back Again
- 3.Bonnie Mulligan
- 4.Each Little Thing (Diarmuid's March)
- 5.The Bag of Cats: The Barrow Burn Reel / Lexie Macskills / The Trip to Windsor: The Barrow Burn Reel / Lexy McAskill's / The Trip To Windsor / Calum Fhionnlaid
- 7.Rathlin Island: Rathlin Island / Sporting Paddy: Rathlin Island / Sporting Paddy
- 8.Leaving Brittany: Leaving Brittany / George Peoples: Leaving Brittany / George Peoples
- 9.Dance of the Honeybees
- 10.Micho Russells: With Her Lovely Long Hair (Flowing Down Her Back ...): With Her Lovely Long Hair (Flowing Down Her Back And The Colour Of Her Golden Hair Was Black) / John Brady's Jig / Richard Dwyer's Reel / The Holly Bush
- 11.Mercado Testaccio, El (The Statue Market) :: The Statue Market
- 12.Ivory and the Quill, The (Reels)
- 13.The Bag of Cats
Personnel: Sharon Shannon (fiddle, accordion, whistle); Kirsty MacColl (vocals); Donogh Hennessey (acoustic & electric guitars); Donal Lunny (guitar, acoustic & electric bouzoukis, bass bodhran, keyboards, percussion); Stephen Cooney (guitar, didgeridoo); Frankie Lane (pedal steel guitar, dobro); Mary Shannon (mandolin); Michelle O'Brien, Winnie Horan, Tommy Peoples, Mary Custy (fiddle); Adele O'Dwyer (cello); Barry Carroll (hammer dulcimer); John McSherry (whistle, pipes); Graham Henderson (piano, Hammond organ); Trevor Hutchinson (acoustic bass); Ray Fean (drums); Oisin Lunny (programming).
Engineers include: Tim Martin, Ciaran Byrne, Stephen Cooney.
Recorded at Windmill Lane and Westland Studios, Dublin, Ireland and Baile na Habha, County Kerry, Ireland. Includes liner notes by Sharon Shannon.
Personnel: Sharon Shannon (whistling, fiddle, accordion); Sharon Shannon (vocals); Kirsty MacColl (vocals, background vocals); John McSherry (whistling, whistle, pipe); Steve Cooney (guitar, didjeridu); Stephen Cooney (guitar); Frankie Lane (dobro, accordion); Barry Carroll (hammer dulcimer); Mary Shannon (mandolin); Mary Custy, Michael O'Brien (fiddle); Adele O'Dwyer (cello); Graham Henderson (piano, Hammond b-3 organ); Oisin Lunny (programming); Donogh Hennessy (guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar); D¢nal Lunny (guitar, bouzouki, keyboards, bodhran, percussion); Tommy Peoples, Winifred Horan (fiddle); Trevor Hutchinson (double bass); Ray Fean (drums).
Audio Mixers: D¢nal Lunny; Tim Martin.
Audio Remixers: Oisin Lunny; John Sherwood.
Recording information: Baile Na HAbha, Co. Kerry; Westland Studios, Dublin, Ireland; Windmill Lane.
Photographer: Helen Marsden.
The follow-up to 1994's Out the Gap, Each Little Thing is full of pleasant surprises at every turn. After playing a predominently traditional Irish-based accordion with Arcady, the Waterboys and on her solo debut, Sharon Shannon displays her diverse and esoteric nature on several instances. "Kids" is a bouncy piece featuring fine playing by guitarist Steeve Cooney, which cleverly segues into Fleetwood Mac's "Never Going Back Again." Emanating from "Bonnie Mulligan" is an Aaron Copland vibe, where Winnie Horan (Solas) leads the hoedown with some commanding fiddle playing. The underlying electric guitar adds interesting layering. "The Bag of Cats" brandishes a heavy programmed rhythm by Oisin Lunny, and Shannon lays down her box in favor of the fiddle to duel it out with Mary Custy. Chanteuse Kirsty MacColl renders a seductive reading of "Libertango" as Shannon assumes the role of strolling French accordionist with aplomb and savoir faire. "El Mercado Testaccio" is a delightful Inti-Illimani tune that, despite the hammer dulcimer and bouzouki, sounds amazingly South American. Donal Lunny does an excellent job of piecing this album together, allowing the songs to flow gracefully. His bouzouki playing and Trevor Hutchinson's double bass provide a stable rhythm section capable of chauffeuring Shannon to whichever destination she fancies. ~ Dave Sleger
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE