Sharon Shannon Spellbound: Best of Sharon Shannon
- Released: February 22, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Compass Records
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Blackbird
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Bonnie Mulligan
- $0.99 on iTunes3.The 3-Headed Monster: The 3-Headed Monster / Quick Nurse Screens!
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Mighty Sparrow, The - (live)
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Kids: Fead an Fhiolair / Never Going Back Again
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Cavan Potholes
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Tickle Her Leg
- $0.99 on iTunes8.The Bungee Jumpers
- $0.99 on iTunes9.The Mouth of the Tobique: Lad O'Beirnes / Dowds Favourite / The Mouth of ...
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Sandy River Belle
- $0.99 on iTunes11.The Bag of Cats: The Barrow Burn Reel / Lexy Macskills / The Trip to Windsor
- $0.99 on iTunes12.The Magic Foot
- $0.99 on iTunes13.A Song of the Rosy Cross
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Each Little Thing (Diarmuid's March)
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Sparky
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Woodchoppers, The (Et Reel des Voyageurs) - (live)
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Macguire and Patterson
- $0.99 on iTunes18.The Munster Hop
- $0.99 on iTunes19.Reel Beatrice
- $0.99 on iTunes20.The Marguerita Suite
- $0.99 on iTunes21.Spellbound
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Sharon Shamnnon (fiddle, accordion); Donogh Hennessey (acoustic & electric guitars); Donal Lunny (guitar, bouzouki, bodhran); Stephen Cooney (guitar, bass); Barry Carroll (hammered dulcimer); Natalie MacMaster, Tommy Peoples, Maire Breatnach, Mary Custy, Nollaig Ni Chathasaigh, Winnie Horan (fiddle); Richie Buckley (saxophone, synthesizer); Brian Connor (piano, organ); Liam O'Maonlai (piano); Anthony Thistlethwaite, Graham Henderson (Hammond B-3 organ); David Hayes (keyboards); Adam Clayton, Trevor Hutchinson (bass); Dave Early, Ray Fean (drums); Noel Bridgeman (congas); Everale "Fari" Forrest (percussion).
Producers include: Denis Bovell, Donal Lunny, Mike Scott.
Engineers include: Tim Martin, John Dunford, Richard Rainey.
Recorded between 1989 and 1997.
Personnel: Sharon Shannon (vocals, accordion); Donogh Hennessy (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); D¢nal Lunny (bouzouki, bodhran); M ire Breatnach (fiddle, viola); Natalie MacMaster, Tommy Peoples, Mary Shannon (fiddle); Adam Clayton (acoustic bass guitar).
All of the albums that Sharon Shannon recorded for Green Linnet in the '90s are worth owning, but if you've never experienced the pleasures of her neo-Celtic experiments, Spellbound would be the most logical starting point. This CD, which spans 1989-1998, isn't the last word on the experimental button accordionist, but it can still serve as an impressive introduction to her work. Spellbound paints an accurate picture of Shannon -- an exploratory artist who benefits from Irish/Celtic traditions without being enslaved by them. On this eclectic, entirely instrumental collection, one hears Shannon fusing her Celtic foundation with pop, French-Canadian music, calypso, ska, polka, and other styles. Instruments typically associated with Celtic music -- including fiddles, mandolins, and hammer dulcimers -- are prominent, but Shannon also employs saxophonists, organists, and electric guitarists. There are many rewards on this CD, which illustrates how nicely Shannon's risk-taking has paid off. ~ Alex Henderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
99¢ on SALE