Sharon Shannon Sharon Shannon [Compass] (Live)
18 copies available
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Sharon Shannon ~ Galway Girl: The Best of Sharon Shannon $12.54
- Released: May 8, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Compass Records
Q - 10/99, p.1563 stars out of 5 - "...remarkable for both the calibre of the music it includes and also for the guest list, a who's who of Irish musicians from Adam Clayton and Mike Scott, to Donal Lunny and Gerry O'Beirne..."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Glentown
- $0.99 on iTunes2.The Blackbird
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Queen of the West
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Retour des Hirondelles / Tune For a Found Harmonium
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Miss Thompsons / The Derry Reel
- $0.99 on iTunes6.The Munster Hop
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Tickle Her Leg
- $0.99 on iTunes8.The Marguerita Suite/
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Coridinio
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Anto's Cajun Cousins
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Cornphiopa Corafinne / Skidoo
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Marbhna Luimni (Lament For Limerick)
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Phil Cunningham Set/
- $0.99 on iTunes14.The Woodchoppers/le Reel des Voyagers
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Sharon Shannon (fiddle, accordion); Steve Wickham, Adam Clayton, Donal Lunny, Gerry O'Beirne, Mike Scott, Maire Breathnach, Noel Bridgeman, Stephen Cooney, Mary Custy, Tommy Hayes, Trevor Hutchinson, Philip King, Liam O'Maonlai, Eoin O'Neill, Mary Shannon, Anthony Thistlewaite.
Includes two live 1989 tracks.
The buzz about young accordionist Sharon Shannon was just starting to build when this album was originally issued on the Irish Solid label in 1991. Having worked as a member of the Waterboys and as an accompanist to the legendary singer Christy Moore, she already had a solid reputation among the cognoscenti, but her innovative approach to her instrument -- along with her tremendous energy and prodigious chops -- were creating a groundswell of interest outside of Celtic music circles as well. When Sharon Shannon was issued in Ireland it became the top-selling traditional music recording ever released there. Reissued by Compass with a bonus track in 2001, it sounds as fresh and exciting now as it did then. The program is quite varied, ranging from such traditional Irish fare as "The Munster Hop" and "Queen of the West" to Cajun tunes, Quebecois, reels and even a Portuguese dance number. Guest musicians range from the predictable (bouzouki player Donal Lunny, guitarist Gerry O'Beirne) to the surprising (bassist Adam Clayton of U2), but Shannon's playful, jaw-droppingly virtuosic playing holds everything together. Excellent. ~ Rick Anderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$1.98 on SALE