- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 35 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 18, 2012
- Originally Released: 2012
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Audio commentary with writer/director Drew Goddard and writer/producer Joss Whedon
- We are not who we are: making The Cabin in the Woods
- An army of nightmares: makeup & animatronic effects
- Primal terror: visual effects
- The secret secret stash: Marty's stash, hi, my name is Joss and I'll be your guide
- Wondercon Q&A
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.39
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Box Office - 03/10/2012
4.5 stars out of 5 -- "[G]iddily brilliant....[A] self-aware slasher, which elegantly transcends the smug genre commentary of the SCREAM films, eventually revealing itself to be the goriest essay film ever made..."
Rolling Stone - 04/26/2012
3.5 stars out of 4 -- "CABIN shows you can unleash a fire-breathing horror film without leaving your brain or your heart on the killing floor."
Entertainment Weekly - 04/20/2012
"[The cabin] is a specimen of fright-house decorating. The woods rustle with menace." -- Grade: B-
Total Film - 05/01/2012
4 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he beauty of CABIN is that it takes bits and pieces from here, there and everywhere and blends them into a vibrant entertainment."
Wall Street Journal - 04/13/2012
"The screenwriters, who control everything, have filled their film with big ideas. THE CABIN IN THE WOODS simultaneously celebrates and deconstructs the genre's conventions..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 04/11/2012
3 stars out of 4 -- "[I]t's exciting because it ventures so far off the map. One imagines the filmmakers chortling with glee as they devise first one bizarre development and then another in a free-for-all for their imaginations."
Los Angeles Times - 04/13/2012
"There are some clever cameos to watch for....Goddard, who directs from a script co-written with Whedon, sets the tone from the beginning with a lot of quirky camera angles..."
USA Today - 04/13/2012
"THE CABIN IN THE WOODS gets points for the twists and turns that come along with its sly wickedness..."
Movieline - 04/12/2012
"Goddard and Whedon have devised a meta-movie about horror tropes that comments on its genre without foregoing a plot or characters of its own -- it's funny and scary..."
Sight and Sound - 05/01/2012
"CABIN IN THE WOODS has a lot of fun with the conventions of straight-ahead schlock....[A] wholly engaging and ingenious film..."