Merle Haggard The Essential Merle Haggard: The Epic Years
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: SSP 98473
- Released: August 31, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Big City
- 2.Are The Good Times Really Over (I Wish A Buck Was Still Silver)
- 3.Someday When Things Are Good
- 4.Yesterday's Wine (With George Jones)
- 5.Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Star
- 6.Let's Chase Each Other Around The Room
- 7.I Always Get Lucky With You
- 8.That's The Way Love Goes
- 9.Going Where The Lonely Go
- 10.A Place To Fall Apart (With Janie Frickie)
- 11.I Had A Beautiful Time
- 12.My Favorite Memory
- 13.Pancho And Lefty (With Willie Nelson)
- 14.The Okie From Muskogee's Comin' Home
The 1980s were a tough time for country music; mainstream Nashville was filled with watered-down MOR, and classic country singers like Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash were foundering. True to form, the famously willful Merle Haggard stuck to his guns throughout this dark era, and his stint on Epic was full of tradition-minded, emotion-filled country music as powerful as anything being recorded at the time, if not as arresting as his legendary '60s work.
"Big City," from Haggard's 1981 album of the same name, became something of a staple tune. The randy "Let's Chase Each Other Around the Room" reveals not only Merle's rascally nature, but his ongoing infatuation with the Western Swing sound. The mournful ballads "Going Where the Lonely Go" and "Are the Good Times Really Over (I Wish a Buck Was Still Silver)" show Haggard's matchless way with melancholy. Duets with George Jones and Willie Nelson indicate that Haggard never lost the respect of his peers, even if his profile at the time wasn't at its highest. Many point to the late '90s as Merle's "comeback" period, but this collection proves that neither he nor his gift ever really went away.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE