|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Edited By George Mcguire
- Art Direction William Calihan Jr.
- Set Design Glen Thompson
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 7 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: November 19, 2002
- Originally Released: 1945
- Label: Alpha Video
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Tom Neal & Ann Savage|
|Performer:||Claudia Drake, Pat Gleason, Esther Howard, Tim Ryan & Edmund MacDonald|
|Directed by||Edgar G. Ulmer|
|Music by||Leo Erdody|
|Screenplay by||Martin Goldsmith|
|Original story by||Martin Goldsmith|
|Composition by||Leo Erdody|
|Cinematography by||Ben Kline|
|Art Direction by||Edward C. Jewell|
|Produced by||Leon Fromkess|
|Director of Photography:||Benjamin H. Kline|
"...DETOUR really is some kind of great movie....One of the defining films of the seductive genre the French critics called film noir..."
"...One of the most revered 'B' cheapies..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
This film is short, cramped and breathtaking, with no pause in its relentless rhythm of despair. Tom Neal's performance as the man snared in a web of fate is raw and real. Ann Savage is fierce. Ulmer's direction is hallucinatory and amazing. From a script by mystery writer Martin Goldsmith, this film demands repeat viewing by any serious student of cinema, or lover of movies.
- DETOUR was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1992.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 100 ratings.
A true 'noir' classic, this film's well-deserved reputation preceeds it; it's dark, brooding & totally mesmerizing. Tom Neal and Ann Savage are nothing short of brilliant -- this is unquestionably the best work ever done by both; Neal's deepening desperation is well-matched by Savage's spitting portrayal of evil incarnate. Get this one; don't hesitate, don't second-guess yourself -- GET IT!!
This is top of the line film noir. Tom Neal plays a man unexpectedly drawn into a web of murder and blckmail. His acting is deep and you can feel the sadness in his character. Ann Savage is among the most sinister and vicious femme fatales found in this type of movie. I found myself hating her character because she played the part so well. Although there are a few other characters - especially the man whose death causes all the drama in the film - Neal and Savage are virtually alone, fighting each other and themelves in a bitter war of greed. And be ready for a surprise ending that will leave you shocked.
Bleak, fatalistic, and wonderful. A paranoid loser of a piano player hitch-hiking cross-country swaps identities with a man who (in)conveniently dies while giving him a ride and is then himself trapped, when he picks up the dying, vicious hitch-hiker Ann Savage, into a bizarre plot involving that same identity. Great themes, such as taking responsibility for one's actions vs. fate at the hands of an indifferent universe, and the reliability of the narration, with classic film noir.
What a great B movie clasic. Ann Savage is pure evil. I highly recamend to crime drama fans.
Told in flashback, this is one stark tale, believe me. The archetypical victim of circumstance, Tom Neal travels from the gutter to the gallows in no time flat, and Ann Savage steers him unfailingly towards personal disaster. Neal's character is only borderline sympathetic---after all, this IS film noir---while Savage's Vera is completely reprehensible. DETOUR is a gritty, grimy tale that defined American film noir.
- Sales Rank: 6,558
- UPC: 089218406798
- Shipping Weight: 0.27/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.