- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours
- Video: Color
- Released: September 4, 2012
- Originally Released: 1921
- Label: Kino Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Music arranged and composed by Robert Israel
- Featurette, Written by Film Historian Bruce Lawton, about the making of The Navigator and Keaton's fascination with boats as sources of comedy
- Audio Commentary by silent film historians Robert Arkus and Yair Solan
- Photo Gallery
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
- Dolby Digital 5.1
Performers, Cast and Crew:
In THE NAVIGATOR (1924), Keaton is Rollo Treadway, a rich young man of little experience who finds himself adrift on a yacht with a young woman. The ensuing misadventures involve an angry swordfish, a gang of cannibals, and a crate of rocket flares. Also includes the Keaton shorts THE BOAT (1921) and THE LOVE NEST (1921).
"The Navigator", Buster Keaton's most successful feature film, tells the tale of two innocents stranded on a liner that's sailing out to sea.
The sweetly naive Rollo Treadway is so wealthy that others always attend to his every need; the girl across the street, whom he truly loves, lives an equally sheltered life. Then he and she get trapped together on an abandoned ship that saboteurs have set adrift. With no one to help them, the hopeless, helpless couple must learn to fend for themselves...
Comic highlights include the pair's first, misbegotten breakfast and their initial terror-filled night on the boat.
The video also includes two other "watery" shorts: "The Boat" and "The Love Nest".
High Seas |
Stranded / Castaway |
- All films are silent with musical accompaniment.
- Includes the following films:
"The Navigator" (1924/Feature/60 mins.)
"The Boat" (1921/Short/22 mins.)
"The Love Nest" (1923/Short/20 mins.)
- "The Boat" and the "The Love Nest" are color tinted.
- The films in this collection were licensed by Kino from The Dardis Corporation under Gary Dartnell. The restoration was supervised by David Shepard of Film Preservation Associates. They have been digitally mastered and speed corrected.
- Series produced for video by David Shepard.
- "The Boat":
Written and Directed by Buster Keaton and Eddie Cline
Featuring Buster Keaton and Sybil Sealey
Musical Setting by Gaylord Carter
- "The Love Nest":
Written and Directed by Buster Keaton
Music Arranged and Directed by Robert Israel