Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 26 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 4, 2012
- Originally Released: 1985
- Label: Image Entertainment
- Note: Documentary: "Re-Animator Ressurectus"
- Audio commentary by director Stuart Gordon
- Audio commentary by producer Brian Yuzna and actors Bruce Abbott, Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton and Robert Sampson
- Interview with director Stuart Gordon and producer Brian Yuzna
- Interview with writer Dennis Paoli
- Interview with composer Richard Band
- Music discussion with composer Richard Band
- Interview with Fangoria Magazine editor Tony Timpone
- Deleted and extended scenes
- Theatrical trailer
- TV spots
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
- DTS HD Master Audio
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"What if we get caught'"--Dan Cain (Bruce Abbott)
"What'll they do' Embalm us'"
- Herbert West (Jeffery Combs)
"Who's going to believe a talking head' Get a job in a sideshow."
- Herbert West
New York Times - 10/18/1985
"REANIMATOR has as much originality as it has gore, and that's really saying something....A fast pace and a good deal of grisly vitality..."
Variety - 05/15/1985
"...[The film] zips along, making full use of the inventive effects..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/25/1985
"...Everyone involved is first-rate..."
Entertainment Weekly - 05/31/2002
"...The movie itself remains eye-popping in every sense of the phrase..."
Ultimate DVD - 06/01/2007
4 stars out of 5 -- "Goth, funny and camp as hell, with all previously cut scenes now included, this is a classic of the genre."
Herbert West (Jeffery Combs) has found the secret to eternal life--or so he thinks. West needs fresh cadavers to continue his experiments in the re-animation of dead tissue, so he enlists the help of young medical student Dan Cain (Bruce Abbott) to steal bodies from the local morgue. Despite all the warning signs of failure, the eccentric West's research continues. The results are crazed zombies that roam the streets, severed heads that talk, murder, madness, and chaos, all in the name of science, of course. Director Stuart Gordon's film debut, an adaptation of the short story by H.P. Lovecraft, is a masterpiece of ghoulish fun. Graphic special effects, good scripting, and perfectly over-the-top performances make RE-ANIMATOR a classic horror film in the tradition of THE EVIL DEAD and RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD.
In Stuart Gordon's RE-ANIMATOR, a demented medical student develops a serum that can bring human corpses back to life, but the re-animated carcasses turn spastically violent in this smart, gore-strewn, tongue-in-cheek schlocker based on a story by H.P. Lovecraft.
Cult Film |
Essential Cinema |
Mad Doctor |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: September 14, 1985.
- RE-ANIMATOR was Stuart Gordon's first feature film after establishing the Organic Theater Company in Chicago, Illinois.
- The film is based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft.
Miskatonic University is an invention by H.P. Lovecraft and is used in many of his works.
The film's main theme is an adaptation of Bernard Herrmann's score for PSYCHO.