Coast to Coast
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$9 (60% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: September 23, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Milestone
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Red Holloway (vocals, alto & tenor saxophones); Frank Wess (tenor saxophone); Dr. Lonnie Smith (organ); Melvin Sparks (guitar); Paul Humphrey (drums).
Recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey in February 2003.
Personnel: Red Holloway (vocals, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Melvin Sparks (guitar); Frank Wess (tenor saxophone); Dr. Lonnie Smith (organ); Paul Humphrey & the Cool Aid Chemists (drums).
Audio Mixer: Rudy Van Gelder.
Liner Note Author: Tony Outhwaite.
Recording information: Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (02/11/2003/02/12/2003).
Editor: Rudy Van Gelder.
Photographer: John Abbott .
Once upon a time, jazz players like saxophonist Red Holloway went out of fashion whenever their style of choice -- bop, soul jazz -- made way for the latest trend. Luckily since the 1980s, a plethora of styles co-exist, each with its own labels and venues. Coast to Coast was recorded on Milestone and finds the seasoned saxophonist in exuberant form. It doesn't hurt that he's joined by tenor Frank Wess, organist Dr. Lonnie Smith, drummer Paul Humphrey, and guitarist Melvin Sparks. The quintet wasted little time in the studio, laying down eight soulful tracks over a two-day period in February 2003. There's an easy give and take between the players, leading to lively exchanges and stirring solo work. Both Smith and Sparks give Gene Gray's "Good to Go" the feel of classic soul jazz, while Holloway's smooth lead adds icing to this musical cake. The motto for this whole affair would probably be the opener, a Holloway original titled "Still Groovin'." Holloway jumps out of the gate with a high-flying solo as if to show that as far as his chops are concerned, not much has changed. Unfortunately, there is only one of his trademark blues vocals, "Million Dollar Secret," a song that advises young girls on what type of man to choose. Holloway fans and anyone who enjoys good soul jazz will want to pick up a copy of Coast to Coast. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$25.50 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 49,657
- UPC: 025218933520
- Shipping Weight: 0.20/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Jazz Instrument: Saxophone Music Categories:
- Mindi Abair Come as You Are (CD) ~ $16.89 LABOR DAY
- Mindi Abair It Just Happens That Way (CD) ~ $17.08
- Greg Abate Bop City: Live at Birdland (CD) ~ $10.40 LABOR DAY
- Cannonball Adderley / Benny Carter Live in Cologne 1961 (CD) ~ $15.67 LABOR DAY
- Gerald Albright New Beginnings (CD) ~ $10.56 LABOR DAY
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE