Eric Alexander The Second Milestone
Only 7 copies left
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: April 24, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Milestone
JazzTimes - 6/01, pp.111-2"...A more relaxed, less boisterous and blustery Alexander...trimming the excesses, modifying the tone and delivering smoother but still passionate and confident solos..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 12/01, p.113"...Alexander takes no prisoners..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Eric Alexander (tenor saxophone); Jim Rotondi (trumpet); Harold Mabern (piano); Peter Washington (bass); Joe Farnsworth (drums).
Recorded at Van Gelder Recording Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey in December 2000. Includes liner notes by Paul De Barros.
Personnel: Jim Rotondi (trumpet); Harold Mabern (piano); Joe Farnsworth (drums).
Audio Mixer: Rudy Van Gelder.
Recording information: Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (12/2000).
Tenor saxophonist Eric Alexander is reunited with his former teacher Harold Mabern on this outstanding studio session. The young man's talent has grown immensely since his 1992 debut as a leader, developing a distinct sound that doesn't overly rely on any one influence. The opener "Matchmaker, Matchmaker" (from Fiddler on the Roof) is hardly a jazz standard, but the imaginative arrangement by Alexander and Mabern may prompt others to explore it as well. The emotional rendition of "Moment to Moment" is another joint collaboration between the two. Trumpeter Jim Rotundi sits in during several numbers, including Mabern's "The Man From Hyde Park" (a snappy reworking of "The Song Is You"), Alexander's hypnotic samba "Luna Naranja," and the leader's "The Cliffs of Asturias," which sounds as if it was influenced by the early compositions of Herbie Hancock. The rhythm section includes bassist Peter Washington and drummer Joe Farnsworth. This very impressive date is highly recommended. ~ Ken Dryden
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE