- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 2 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 7, 2009
- Originally Released: 1959
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Collectors Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.66
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Mono - French, Portuguese, Thai
- Subtitles - English - Closed Captioned
- Subtitles - English, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary
- "Nostalgic Look Back"
- "The Making Of SOME LIKE IT HOT"
- "The Legacy Of SOME LIKE IT HOT"
- "Memories From The Sweet Sues"
- Stills/Photos: "Virtual Hall Of Memories"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Jack Lemmon &
Joe E. Brown,
George E. Stone,
Tom Kennedy &
Edward G. Robinson, Jr.
Arthur P. Schmidt
I.A.L. Diamond &
Director of Photography:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Well, nobody's perfect."
Academy Awards 1959 -
Best Costume Design (b&w)
Chicago Sun-Times - 01/09/2000
"...Wilder's 1959 comedy is one of the enduring treasures of the movies, a film of inspiration and meticulous craft..."
Entertainment Weekly - 06/01/2001
"...[Monroe's] lighter than-air work remains a divine enhancement to one of the funniest movies ever..."
Total Film - 12/01/2000
"...Elegant, sexy, energetic and side-slicingly funny, SOME LIKE IT HOT is the film all high-concept comedies want to be when they grow up..."
Premiere - 04/01/2004
"Lemmon enacts one of moviedom's great comic creations."
Entertainment Weekly - 07/21/2006
"Monroe's and Lemmon's finest two hours, and Curtis chip in a brutal Cary Grant impression." -- Grade: A-
Empire - 09/01/2007
5 stars out of 5 -- "Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon are enormously enjoyable....While Marilyn Monroe is a vision as wide-eyed love interest, Sugar."
Wall Street Journal - 11/25/2011
"This was the film Marilyn Monroe made immediately after THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL, and the artistic apex of her career."
Billy Wilder's classic comedy stars Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis as a pair of unemployed musicians who inadvertently become witnesses to the St. Valentine Day's Massacre. To escape the wrath of the gangsters, Joe (Curtis) and Jerry (Lemmon) are forced to hit the road in drag, taking the only jobs available with an all-girl band bound for Miami. Enroute, both men fall for lead singer and blond bombshell Sugar Kane, (Marilyn Monroe), but are unable to fulfill their desires for fear of revealing their identity. Joe tries to get around this by adopting a third identity for seduction, that of a shy millionaire who sounds strangely like Cary Grant. Meanwhile Jerry has his own problems, fighting off the advances of Osgood E. Fielding, a real millionaire hypnotized by his/her charms.
- SOME LIKE IT HOT was an original selection to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1989.
- The original title was NOT TONIGHT, JOSEPHINE.
- Billy Wilder briefly considered Frank Sinatra for one of the lead roles.