Townes Van Zandt No Deeper Blue
14 copies available
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 28, 2012
- Label: Fat Possum Records
Rolling Stone - 3/23/95, p.124"...A self-confessed rambler and loner--and one of the greatest songwriters of his generation--Van Zandt is a nonstarter in the American art of self-promotion. NO DEEPER BLUE scans like a collection of short stories about life on the margins of the American dream..."
Option - 3-4/95, pp.143-145"...He's the muse who's feeding everyone else the good lines, and he makes it sound so easy you'd almost overlook his strengths."
- 1.A Song For
- 2.Blaze's Blues
- 3.The Hole
- 5.Goin' Down To Memphis
- 6.Hey Willy Boy
- 7.Niles River Blues
- 8.Billy, Boney And Ma
- 9.Katie Belle Blue
- 10.If I Was Washington
- 11.Lover's Lullaby
- 12.Cowboy Junkies Lament
- 13.BW Railroad Blues
- 14.Gone Too Long
Personnel: Townes Van Zandt (vocals, guitar); Philip Donnelly (guitar, percussion); Pete Cumins (guitar); Percy Robinson (steel guitar); Brendan Reagan (mandolin, bouzouki); Paul Kelly (fiddle); Brian Meehan (clarinet, tin whistle, tenor saxophone); Declan Masterson (whistle, Uilleann pipes); Donovan (harmonica); Mairtin O'Connor (accordion); Adrian Foley (tuba); Brendan Hayes (piano, harmonium, organ, keyboards, baby chimes); Sven Buick (bass); Robbie Brennan, Fran Breen (drums).
Recorded at Xeric Studios, Limerick, Ireland.
All songs written by Townes Van Zandt.
Photographer: Roy Tee.
Van Zandt's final studio effort came after a long recording layoff, and it's plain he used the time wisely. NO DEEPER BLUE contains some of the Texas troubadour's finest compositions. Things kick off with the bleak minor-key lament "A Song For," which is Townes in classic dark-night-of-the-soul mode. The sizzling "Blaze's Blue" is a jumping blues tune with a delightfully unhinged vocal and a hard-hitting arrangement based on a simple, irresistible blues riff. "The Hole" is a harrowing recitation over sophisticated, atmospheric accompaniment, detailing a man's struggle with his own inner demons.
Phillip Donnelly's production is often much more contemporary-sounding than Van Zandt's usual countryish back-up, but the arrangements seem inventive rather than incongruous. NO DEEPER BLUE is an effective swan song for the late, great singer-songwriter. The highlight is undoubtedly "Marie," a masterfully written narrative about a homeless couple, told in the first person and utterly devoid of sentimentality. Its effect is shattering, placing it easily among the best songs Van Zandt has ever written. Even if the rest of the album weren't as good as it is, "Marie" would make it indispensable.
Townes Van ZandtLive At The Old Quarter, Houston, Texas (Limited Ed. 2-LP...
Townes Van ZandtSunshine Boy: The Unheard Studio Sessions & Demos 1971-1972...
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE