Poultry in Motion: The Hasil Adkins Chicken Collection (2-CD)
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
- Released: September 12, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Norton
- 1.Chicken Walk 1956
- 2.Chicken Hunch 1999
- 3.Chicken Hop 1957
- 4.Chicken Run 1999
- 5.Chicken Wobble 1993
- 6.Cookin' Chicken 1999
- 7.Chicken Flop 1986
- 8.Chicken Hop 1958 - (with The Dynamiters)
- 9.Chicken Shake 1991
- 10.Chicken Blues 1999
- 11.Pick That Chicken 1999
- 12.Chicken Twist 1962
- 13.Chicken On The Bone 1999
- 14.Chicken Walk 1955
- 15.Chicken Hop 1958
Personnel includes: Haskil Adkins (vocals, various instruments); The Dynamiters, Miriam Linna.
Producers: Mike Lewis, Billy Miller, Hasil Adkins.
Principally recorded at Coyote Studios, New York, New York. Includes liner notes by Billy Miller.
Personnel: Miriam Linna (drums).
Recording information: Cyote Studios, NY; Lexington, KY.
Photographers: Axel Kuestner; Whitney Ward.
Every great songwriter has their great subject, and Hasil Adkins -- rock legend, one-man band, and creator of America's slowest-rising new dance craze, "the Hunch" -- is no exception. A perusal of Adkins' back catalog reveals that "the Haze" is a man who loves his chicken, and for this set the like-minded lunatics at Norton Records have combined six new recordings with highlights from Adkins' previous albums (and a few vintage unreleased cuts) to create Poultry in Motion, a collection of 15 songs about chicken (discussed both as barnyard friends and as part of a well-balanced diet). You get "Chicken Walk," its cousin "Chicken Twist," the manic "Chicken Hunch," no fewer than three takes of "Chicken Hop" (one with previously undocumented West Virginia R&B act the Dynamiters), the warped but soulful "Chicken Blues," and "Chicken on the Bone" in which Adkins repeatedly mentions McDonalds. As a concept album, this approaches a level of genius rarely witnessed since either Tommy by the Who or We're in a Band by the New Duncan Imperials, and it's encouraging to report that the new tunes are just as wild and wondrously incoherent as the stuff the Haze bashed out in the 1950s. Wild, primitive, and primal rock & roll that's tasty either baked or deep fried -- just add beverages and you've got a meal! ~ Mark Deming
Kicksville Confidential #1 - Torrid Tales from the Wild... (Magazine)
$3.30 Super Savings
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
File Under Sacred Music: Early Singles 1978-1981 (CD)
$17.10 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs series:
- Wynton Kelly 1931-1971 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Vee-Jay: Very Best of Jazz, Volume 5 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Patterson Singers Songs of Faith / My Prayer (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Manhattan School of Music Chamber Sinfonia & Opera Theater Holst - Savitri / Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending / Britten - Sinfonietta (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- UCLA Wind Ensemble / The Orchestra Da Camera di Roma Grainger: Works for Concert Band / Britten: A Simple Symphony / Warlock: Capriol Suite (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE