Red Norvo The Modern Red Norvo (2-CD)
|You Save:||$3.30 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: October 1, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Savoy Jazz
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Congo Blues - (take C)
- 2.Congo Blues - (take B)
- 3.Hallelujah - (take F)
- 4.Hallelujah - (take E)
- 5.Slam Slam Blues - (take B)
- 6.Slam Slam Blues - (take A)
- 7.Get Happy - (take D)
- 8.Get Happy - (take B)
- 9.Swedish Pastry - (take 2)
- 10.Swedish Pastry - (take 1)
- 11.Cheek To Cheek
- 12.Cheek To Cheek
- 13.Cheek To Cheek - (previously unreleased, Take 5)
- 14.Night And Day
- 15.Night And Day - (alternate take)
- 16.Time And Tide
- 17.Prelude To A Kiss
- 18.'Deed I Do
- 19.Mood Indigo
- 20.Mood Indigo - (previously unreleased)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.September Song - (take 2)
- 2.Move - (take 3, master)
- 3.I've Got You Under My Skin - (take 4, master)
- 4.I'll Remember April - (take 2)
- 5.I'll Remember April - (take 3)
- 6.I Get A Kick Out Of You - (take 5, master)
- 7.I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me - (take 5)
- 8.Little White Lies - (take 1)
- 9.Have You Met Miss Jones? - (take 6)
- 10.Zing, Went The Strings Of My Heart - (take 3, master)
- 11.If I Had You - (take 4)
- 12.If I Had You - (take 2)
- 13.This Can't Be Love - (take 3, master)
- 14.This Can't Be Love - (take 1)
- 15.This Can't Be Love - (take 2)
- 16.Godchild - (take 5)
- 17.Godchild - (take 1, master)
- 18.Godchild - (take 2)
- 19.Godchild - (take 3)
- 20.I'm Yours - (take 3)
- 21.I'm Yours - (take 2)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Red Norvo (vibraphone); Charlie Parker (alto saxophone); Flip Phillips (tenor saxophone); Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet); Teddy Wilson (piano); Tal Farlow (guitar); Charles Mingus, Slam Stewart (bass); J.C. Heard, Specs Powell (drums).
Includes liner notes by Orrin Keepnews and Gary Burton.
Personnel: Red Norvo (vibraphone); Tal Farlow (guitar); Charlie Parker (alto saxophone); Flip Phillips (tenor saxophone); Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet); Teddy Wilson (piano); J.C. Heard, Specs Powell (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Orrin Keepnews; Gary Burton .
Recording information: Radio Recorders, Hollywood, CA (06/06/1945-04/13/1951); United Broadcasting Studio A, Chicago, IL (06/06/1945-04/13/1951); WOR STudios, New York, NY (06/06/1945-04/13/1951).
Photographers: Frank Driggs; Bob Parent.
This two-disc compilation, one of the first in a new series by the rekindled Savoy Jazz label, documents the masterful bop vibraphone of Red Norvo. The first eight tracks of disc one feature Norvo with his Selected Sextet of 1945, an astonishing lineup indeed: Dizzy Gillespie on trumpet, Charlie Parker on alto, Flip Phillips on tenor, Teddy Wilson on piano, Slam Stewart on bass, and J.C. Heard or Specs Powell on drums. The remainder of disc one and all of disc two focus on Norvo's timeless, drummerless trio with guitarist Tal Farlow and bassist Charles Mingus. These are the 1950-1951 sessions that gave listeners the Move! album; here most of the tunes appear back to back with at least one alternate take (three in the case of George Wallington's "Godchild"). Tunes that don't appear on Move! -- like "Little White Lies," "Time and Tide," "I'm Yours," and a few others -- can be found on The Savoy Sessions, a single disc released in 1995. But die-hard fans will want to study these alternates, particularly versions of "Night and Day" and "Cheek to Cheek" that were previously unreleased on CD and LP. Additional bonuses include thorough annotation, sepia photographs, sleek black-and-silver packaging, and essays by producer Orrin Keepnews and Norvo disciple Gary Burton. ~ David R. Adler
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE