- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 2 hours
- Video: Color
- Released: August 28, 2012
- Originally Released: 1963
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Deleted scene
- The original ending
- Tippi Hedren's screen test
- The Birds is coming (Universal International newsreel)
- Suspense story: national press club hears Hitchcock (Universal International newsreel)
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono - English, French
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Suzanne Pleshette &
Darlene Conley &
Director of Photography:
USA Today - 03/31/2000
"...One of the most logistically complex films of his entire half-century run..."
Total Film - 12/01/2003
"...Hitchcock's shocker will peck away at your sanity..."
Premiere - 04/01/2004
"[Hedren] is the ne plus ultra of Hitchcock's icy blondes..."
Essential Cinema |
Small Town Life |
Small Towns |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical Release: March 28, 1963.
- Filmed on location in Bodega Bay and San Francisco, California.
- Hitchcock cameo: Hitchcock can be seen leaving the pet shop carrying two small dogs.
- Screenwriter Evan Hunter also uses the name Ed McBain.
- The film marked the debut for Tippi Hedren.
- Ray Berwick trained all the birds for the film.
- The film's original ending was reportedly more pessimistic: Mitch and Melanie drive from Bodega Bay, assuming that the birds have only overtaken that one small town. Upon arriving in San Francisco, however, they catch sight of the Golden Gate Bridge, completely covered in birds.
- A very young Morgan Brittany appears in the film under the name Suzanne Cupito.