|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
More products that might interest you:
- Classic Exploitation Collection: 20 Full Color Vintage Movie Postcards ~ $9.98 (Save 33%)
- Reefer Madness - Large Poster (18" x 24") ~ $14.98 (Save 25%)
- Set Design Robert Priestly
- Story Lawrence Mead
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 7 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: July 30, 2002
- Originally Released: 1937
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Dorothy Short & Dave O'Brien|
|Featured:||Dorothy Short, Lillian Miles, Thelma White, Kenneth Craig & Dave O'Brien|
|Directed by||Louis J. Gasnier & Louis Gasnier|
|Screenwriting by||Arthur Hoerl & Paul Franklin|
|Screenplay by||Paul Franklin & Arthur Hoerl|
|Cinematography by||John H. Greenhalgh, Jr.|
|Story by||Lawrence Meade|
|Produced by||George A. Hirliman|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"In the late 1960s, it was reissued and became a campus favorite for years..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
- The prologue to the film states: "Marihuana is... an unspeakable scourge--the Real Public Enemy Number One! Its first effect is sudden violent, uncontrollable laughter, then come dangerous hallucinations,... the loss of all power to resist physical emotions, leading finally to acts of shocking violence,... ending often in incurable insanity."
- Although production values for this cult-film are okay for a crime melodrama of its type, "Reefer Madness" is about as subtle as a brick. In its treatment of marijuana as a drug that brings complete ruin on all who sample it, and more dangerous a narcotic than heroin, the film manages to lose whatever edge it may have had in its time. And when those college kids light up, they all get evil gleams in their eyes and dance with abandon.
- Not to be confused with the 1922 British film (released by Gaumont) "Tell Your Children," adapted from Rachel MacNamara's novel "Lark's Gate."
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 104 ratings.
Without a doubt, this is the greatest exploitation film ever made. I mean, it's corny, silly, stupid, and mneant to be taking seriously. I first saw it in 1968 (whether or not anyone in the room was doing a reefer at the time is unimportant) and I laughed myself silly. Not as silly as the piano player, but silly. I love this movie. I think I'll watch it again later this evening.
Number one, I'd like to know how they found the Chico Marx clone to portray the piano player at the malt shop. I'd also like to know what happened to the marijuana addict who killed his family with an axe, as mentioned by Dr. Carroll.
Where did they find this cast??? Are there any more like them??? Fans of great movie entertainment hope so.
With this movie's outdated facts and information on the effects of "marihuana" on people, it can certainly be said that this film is a bit quirked in its ways. Adding to this are the horrible acting and the horrible pre-jazz era music. The amount of cheesyness featured in this film is atrocious. However, as it is with this film, cheesyness can turn to hiliarity for those with a taste for the camp. And, because of this unique brand of humor, the entertainment value of "Reefer Madness" goes skyrocketing as time and the way that society looks at things progresses.
- Sales Rank: 7,224
- UPC: 089218402493
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.