|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Rated: G
- Run Time: 1 hours, 28 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: August 30, 2005
- Originally Released: 1937
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Note: This disc contains a colorized and original B/W version of the film.
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono - English
- Stereo - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Jean Hersholt, Arthur Treacher, Helen Westley, Thomas Beck, Mary Nash, Sidney Blackmer, Pauline Moore, Mady Christians, Marcia Mae Jones, Delmar Watson, Sig Ruman, Raymond Griffith & Christian Rub|
|Directed by||Allan Dwan|
|Edited by||Allen McNeil|
|Screenwriting by||Walter Ferris & Julien Josephson|
|Screenplay by||Walter Ferris & Julien Josephson|
|Original story by||Johanna Spyri|
|Art Direction by||Hans Peters|
|Produced by||Darryl F. Zanuck|
Although the rough-and-ready Allan Dwan was at first underwhelmed about the idea of working with the 1930s child star, his collaboration with Temple turned out to be a pleasure for both. She stars as the title character in this adaptation of the children's classic. Set in the Swiss Alps during the 19th Century, the film opens with Heidi's Aunt Dete (Mady Christians) taking her to live with the girl's grandfather Adolph Kramer (Jean Hersholt), a rather ill-tempered hermit. Although the old man at first refuses to speak to the girl, he soon grows to love her. When Pastor Schultz (Thomas Beck) tries to persuade Kramer to bring the girl to church, he angrily refuses at first, but finally relents, and the two are accepted into the local community. Heidi's aunt suddenly returns, kidnapping the girl and taking her to the home of her wealthy employer Herr Sesemann (Sidney Blackmer), in Franfurt. He needs a child to spend time with Klara (Marcia Mae Jones), his invalid daughter, since he's often away on business. Heidi soon tries to escape, while her grandfather has already begun the 100-mile journey to Franfurt to find her. This amiable version of the classic features a top-drawer cast of character actors, and Dwan keeps thing moving along briskly.
- Theatrical release date: Oct. 15, 1937.
- Shooting location: Lake Arrowhead, CA.
- Songwriter Jule Styne was Temple's vocal coach for the film.
- Dwan replaced Otto Brower as director after the latter had shot second-unit photography in Switzerland.
- Even 57 years after the film's release, it has turned up on the list of best-selling videos.
Doggie Tails, Volume 1: Lucky's First Sleep-Over (DVD)(3)
$4.98 on SALE
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 135 ratings.
Based on 135 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Hopalong Cassidy - Ultimate Collector's Ed. (66-Film... (DVD)(31)
$29.98 on SALE
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up...(99)
$1.98 on SALE
NBC News - Deep Throat: Full Story of Watergate (DVD)(40)
99¢ on SALE