The Stratton Story (Full Screen)
Warner Bros. DVD Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$11 (55% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Short Film: Pest Control
- MGM Cartoon: Batty Baseball (1944)
- 2/13/50 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast
- Languages: English and Francais
- Subtitles: English, French and Spanish
- Rated: Unrated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: August 15, 2006
- Originally Released: 1949
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono 1.0 English, French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||June Allyson, Frank Morgan, Agnes Moorehead, Bill Williams, Bruce Cowling, Bill Dickey & Cliff Clark|
|Directed by||Sam Wood|
|Edited by||Ben Lewis|
|Written by||Guy Trosper|
|Composition by||Adolph Deutsch|
|Produced by||Jack Cummings|
|Director of Photography:||Harold Rosson|
Academy Awards 1949 - Best Motion Picture Story: Douglas Morrow
Description by OLDIES.com:
Chicago White Sox pitcher Monty Stratton is an affable long drink of water with an easy, whiplike delivery and a pitch so unhittable the young phenom racks up consecutive 15-win seasons. But Stratton's greatest victory doesn't come on the manicured green diamonds of our national pastime. James Stewart portrays Stratton, who loses a leg in an accident just as his career is on the rise ... and whose triumph over despair and disability leads him to pitch again. Stewart signed on for the role when he realized the film would be an inspiration to injured World War II GIs. The film still inspires. Awarded an Oscar for Best Motion Picture Story and supported by a top cast that includes real-life ballplayers, The Stratton Story is sports biography at its best.
Director Sam Wood's final film presents the real-life story of courageous sports hero Monty Stratton. Jimmy Stewart presents a career-defining performance as the young Chicago White Sox pitcher who loses a leg in a tragic hunting accident. Depressed, Stratton at first refuses to walk with his new artificial limb, but under the encouragement of his wife, Ethel (June Allyson), he relearns to walk just as his young son takes his own first steps. With courage and determination, Stratton builds his strength and returns to the sport at which he excelled, becoming a minor league star. This uplifting story avoids becoming maudlin by virtue of Wood's excellent directing, a truly beautiful performance from Jimmy Stewart, an Academy Award-winning script from Douglas Morrow and Guy Trosper, and the very real chemistry between Stewart and actress Allyson.
Description by Warner Home Video:
Stratton Story, The
Chicago White Sox pitcher Monty Stratton is an affable long drink of water with an easy, whiplike delivery and a pitch so unhittable the young phenom racks up consecutive 15-win seasons. But Stratton's greatest victory doesn't come on the manicured green diamonds of our national pastime.
James Stewart portrays Stratton, who loses a leg in an accident just as his career is on the rise...and whose triumph over despair and disability leads him to pitch again. Stewart signed on for the role when he realized the film would be an inspiration to injured World War II GIs. The film still inspires. Awarded an Oscar'* for Best Motion Picture Story, directed by Sam Wood (The Pride of the Yankees) and supported by a top cast that includes real-life ballplayers, The Stratton Story is sports biography at its best.
This moving film tells the true story of Major League Baseball pitcher Monty Stratton, who had one leg amputated after a tragic hunting accident. With strength, courage and determination, Stratton continued his career in the minor leagues.
- Monty Stratton served as an adviser on the film, offering Jimmy Stewart pitching tips.
- Fans offered Jimmy Stewart baseballs to sign intead of photos.
- Van Johnson was the actor originally chosen to play the lead role.
- Writer Douglas Morrow spent three weeks with the Stratton family in order to provide the realism on which the story is based.
- Appearing as themselves are professional baseball players Bill Dickey, Gene Bearden, Mervyn Shea, and former Chicago White Sox manager Jimmy Dykes.
Kill the Umpire / Safe at Home - Baseball Double Feature...
$10.92 Super Savings
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 17 ratings.
Based on 17 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 7,761
- UPC: 012569699120
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
3-2-1 Penguins: The Amazing Carnival of Complaining (DVD)(20)
$7.98 on SALE
4 Film Favorites: Martial Arts Collection (Rumble in the... (DVD)(2)
$6.98 on SALE
4 Film Favorites: Romance (The Bachelor / Laws of... (DVD)(7)
$6.98 on SALE
4 Film Favorites: Slasher Films Collection (Texas Chainsaw... (DVD)(11)
$8.98 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- Charlie Bubbles (DVD-R) ~ $14.98 on SALE
$6.56 Super Savings
- The Words (Blu-ray) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- What Doesn't Kill You (Blu-ray) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Mister Roberts (DVD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Edition) (DVD + CD Soundtrack) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Scarlett - Complete Mini-Series (DVD) ~ $8.98 on SALE