The Harry Smith Connection: A Live Tribute to the Anthology of American Folk Music
by Various Artists
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Various Artists ~ Anthology of American Folk Music, Volume 1-3 (6-CD) $75.48
by Various Artists ~ The Harry Smith Project: Anthology of American Folk Music Revisited (4-CD) ~ $46.78
- Released: August 18, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
Spin - 1/99, p.117"...a live tribute more annoyingly reverent and less impossibly monolithic than Smith's original anthology of folk recordings..."
- 1.East Virginia Blues - Jay Bennett / Jeff Tweedy / Roger McGuinn
- 2.I'm on the Battlefield for My Lord - Ethel Caffie Austin
- 3.John Henry - John Jackson
- 4.Lazy Farmer Boy, A - Greg Hooven String Band
- 5.Old Dog Blue - Lonnie Pitchford
- 6.Home Sweet Home - The New Lost City Ramblers
- 7.Butcher Boy, The - Ginny Hawker
- 8.John the Revelator - Ethel Caffie Austin
- 9.His Tapes Roll On - Peter Stampfel
- 10.Minglewood Blues - Geoff Muldaur / John Sebastian
- 11.Coo Coo Bird, The - Ella Jenkins
- 12.Frankie and Johnny - John Jackson
- 13.Sugar Baby - Jay Bennett / Jeff Tweedy / Roger McGuinn
- 14.Vieux Soulard et Sa Femme, Le - Balfa Toujours
- 15.Spike Driver Blues - Dave Van Ronk
- 16.Darling Corey - Greg Hooven String Band
- 17.Coo Coo Bird, The - Toshi Reagon
- 18.James Alley Blues - Jay Bennett / Jeff Tweedy / Roger McGuinn
- 19.Nothing - The Fugs
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Producers include: Howard Bass, Laurie Jacoby, Bob Santelli, Stephanie Smith, Thea Austin.
Recorded live in October, 1997. Includes liner notes by Anthony Seeger, Amy Horowitz, Jeff Place and Bob Santelli.
All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.
Personnel: Tracy Schwarz (vocals, guitar, accordion); Christine Balfa, Dave Van Ronk, Steven Taylor , Jeff Tweedy, John Jackson, Lonnie Pitchford, Peter Stampfel, Toshi Reagon (vocals, guitar); Geoff Muldaur (vocals, mandolin); Greg Hooven (vocals, fiddle); Ella Jenkins (vocals, harmonica); Dirk Powell (vocals, accordion); Ethel Caffie Austin (vocals, piano); Coby Batty (vocals, drums); Ed Sanders, Ginny Hawker, Tuli Kupferberg (vocals); Bill Giltinan, John Cohen, Paul Rishell, Roger McGuinn (guitar); Jay Bennett (banjo, piano); Judy Chaudet, John Sebastian (banjo); Mike Seeger, Kevin Wimmer (fiddle); Annie Raines (harmonica); Nelda Balfa (triangle); James Wormworth (percussion).
Audio Mixer: Pete Reiniger.
Liner Note Authors: Robert Santelli; Amy Horowitz; Anthony Seeger.
Recording information: Barns Of Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA (10/1997).
Photographer: Hugh Talman.
Unknown Contributor Role: Harry Smith .
Arrangers: Ella Jenkins; Toshi Reagon.
As part of the excitement surrounding the re-release of Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music box set in 1997, two concerts were staged at the Barns of Wolf Trap in Vienna, VA. This 19-song, hour-long CD was taken from those shows, and features contemporary performances of songs on the anthology, garnished by one song about Harry Smith (Peter Stampfel's "His Tapes Roll On") and the Fugs "Nothing" (which was originally recorded, and produced by, Smith in the mid-'60s). Roger McGuinn, Jeff Tweedy, Toshi Reagon, Lonnie Pitchford, the New Lost City Ramblers, Dave Van Ronk, and John Sebastian are among the better-known names, although the Greg Hooven String Band, John Jackson, and Ethel Caffie Austin won't be familiar even to many roots enthusiasts. It's good-natured, well-played material encompassing, like the original box set, all styles of folk: Appalachian (including yet two more versions of the overdone "The Coo Coo Bird")," blues, Cajun. These cuts are not highlights of the artists' careers, nor do they particularly expand upon the originals, although of course these performances have much better fidelity than you'll find on the old 78s. It's just an illustration of how these American forms live on in the present, there for those who want it. ~ Richie Unterberger
Master of the Cajun Accordion: The Classic Swallow... (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
A Fool To Care: Classic Recordings 1960-1977 (2-CD)
$19.74 Super Savings
American Songs of The Revolution & Civil War Era (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)(4)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!