Down Home Saturday Night
by Various Artists
- Released: July 31, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
Dirty Linen - p.42"[T]he Texas Playboys captivate with their Western swing....Memphis Slim then revives his famous rollicking 'Pinetop's Boogie Woogie'....This album is perfect for a Saturday night."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Minglewood Blues - Geoff Muldaur / John Sebastian / J Band / John Sebastian & the J-Band
- $0.99 on iTunes2.White House Blues - The Stoney Mountain Boys / Earl Taylor
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Vieux Soulard et Sa Femme, Le - Balfa Toujours
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Sinaloense, El - Mingo Saldivar Y Sus Tremendos Cuatro Espadas
- $0.99 on iTunes5.It's Love Baby (24 Hours a Day) - Erbie Bowser / Blues Specialists / T.D. Bell / The Blues Specialists
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Big Ball's in Cowtown - The Texas Playboys
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Pinetop's Boogie Woogie - Memphis Slim
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Bill Morgan and His Gal - The New Lost City Ramblers
- $0.99 on iTunes9.You Keep on Doggin' Me - Sticks McGhee & the Ramblers / J.C. Burris / Sonny Terry / Sticks MeGhee
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Bosco Stomp - Nonc Allie Young / Rodney Balfa / Bessyl Duhon / Nonc Allie Young
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Walking Blues - Armand Jump Jackson / Memphis Slim / Arbee Stidham
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Hey Bartender, There's a Big Bug in My Beer - Eddie Pennington / Warner Williams
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Oh, Baby, You Don't Have to Go - The Chambers Brothers
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Chiquitos Pero Picos - Ben Tavera King
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Uncle Bud - Boozoo Chavis & the Majic Sounds
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Christine Balfa, Sam Porky Hutchins, John Cohen, Rodney Balfa, Arbee Stidham, Warner Williams (vocals, guitar); T.D. Bell (vocals, electric guitar); Walter Hensley, Tom Paley (vocals, banjo); Earl Taylor, Geoff Muldaur (vocals, mandolin); Dirk Powell (vocals, accordion); Memphis Slim (vocals, piano, organ); Frank Salazar (vocals, bass guitar); Jesse "El Chivo" Garza, Leon Rausch, Lester Chambers, Boozoo Chavis (vocals); Carlton Thomas, Jr., Eddie Pennington, Sticks McGhee & the Ramblers, Joe Chambers, Paul Rishell, Willie Chambers (guitar); Bill Dessens (electric guitar); Herb Remington (steel guitar); Luis Gonzalez/Yomo Toro (bajo sexto); John Sebastian (banjo); Johnny Gimble (mandolin, fiddle); Ernie Hunter, Mike Seeger, Bessyl Duhon, Kevin Wimmer (fiddle); Mel Davis , Annie Raines, Sonny Terry (harmonica); Nonc Allie Young, Ben Tavera King (accordion); Reggie Crawford (saxophone); J.C. Burris (trombone); Erbie Bowser (piano); Jim Gough (electric bass); Armand Jump Jackson, Rellis Chavis, Donald "Duck" Manor, Ruben Mendoza, Alex Medina, Jerry Ontiberoz, Brian Keane (drums); Nelda Balfa Moody (triangle); James Wormworth (percussion).
Liner Note Author: Jeff Place.
Editors: Carla Borden; Jacob Love.
Photographer: Marion Post Wolcott.
While the archivists at Smithsonian Folkways can get downright scholarly when it comes to music, this fine compilation seeks to be the opposite--just a stomping, fun good time, Americana-style. Essentially a party mix culled from the Smithsonian back catalog, the track list here includes bouncy Texan conjunto from Mingo Saldivar, wildcat Western swing from Gary Wills, Memphis Slim's infectiously joyful boogie-woogie piano, danceable jump-blues from Erbie Bowser, swingin' Cajun from Balfa Toujours, and other upbeat, rootsy styles.
A Fool To Care: Classic Recordings 1960-1977 (2-CD)
$19.74 Super Savings
Cajun Classics: Kings Of Cajun At Their Very Best [Ace 2002] (CD)
$7.44 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
99¢ on SALE